Panama will not settle the case of a North Korean cargo ship that was found carrying Soviet era weapons via a bilateral meeting between the two nations, and instead will continue to insist that the United Nations handle it, the Miami Herald reported.
It was announced last week that a U.N. inspection team would travel to Panama to investigate the Chong Chon Gang freighter that was sailing through the Panama Canal en route to North Korea from Cuba when the weapons were discovered.
Cuban officials have said they were sending aging aircraft, missile-launch equipment and other military gear to North Korea for maintenance services and that the items were to have been returned to Havana later on. However, the equipment was hidden among bags of sugar and may have violated a military export embargo against Pyongyang because of its illicit nuclear arms program.
A verbal message sent by North Korea’s embassy in Havana on Friday said that the cargo ship did not intend to threaten the security of the Panama Canal and expressed the North’s desire to resolve the case “diplomatically” and with “amiable cooperation,” the newspaper reported, citing an unnamed Panamanian government source.
“As long as the case is in the hands of the (Panamanian) Security Ministry and there’s no final report report from the United Nations, there is no diplomatic solution,” an anonymous official told El Nuevo Herald.
The diplomatic note also asked that two North Korean diplomats be allowed into Panama so that they could advise crewmen of the North Korean freighter, according to the Miami Herald.
On Tuesday, additional missile-launching equipment was found in the last unopened container on the freighter, the Chosun Ilbo reported. Panamanian officials told the Korean news service that the search of the ship had concluded.
What We're Following See More »
The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.
"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.
Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.
Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.