Obama Condemns Morsi, Interim Egyptian Government, but Makes No Mention of U.S. Aid

In a statement, the president amps up the rhetoric on Egypt, but takes modest action.

President Barack Obama makes a statement to the media regarding events in Egypt, from his rental vacation home in Chilmark Mass., on the island of Martha's Vineyard.
National Journal
Brian Resnick
Aug. 15, 2013, 6:51 a.m.

Pres­id­ent Obama on Thursday offered tough talk and a small — and per­haps sym­bol­ic — ac­tion to con­demn the blood­shed in the streets of Cairo, keep­ing stra­tegic aid in place while can­celing a long-stand­ing mil­it­ary ex­er­cise with Egypt.

“Our tra­di­tion­al co­oper­a­tion can­not con­tin­ue as usu­al as ci­vil­ians are be­ing killed in the streets, rights are be­ing rolled back,” the pres­id­ent said in a state­ment while on va­ca­tion in Martha’s Vine­yard. But don’t mis­take these words for the pres­id­ent com­pletely cut­ting off ties with the re­gion. He made no men­tion of the con­tested $1.3 bil­lion that the U.S. sends in aid to the Egyp­tian gov­ern­ment, which in­cludes such items as jet fight­ers. In­stead, the pres­id­ent an­nounced he will can­cel a joint mil­it­ary ex­er­cise between the U.S. and Egypt called Bright Star, a tra­di­tion stem­ming from the 1978 Camp Dav­id Ac­cords.

Obama also stressed that the United States will not be tak­ing polit­ic­al sides in Egypt. “Amer­ica can­not de­term­ine the fu­ture of Egypt,” he said. “That is a task for the Egyp­tian people. We don’t take sides for any par­tic­u­lar party or polit­ic­al move­ment.”

Yet he had some harsh words for the now-de­funct Mor­si gov­ern­ment. “His gov­ern­ment wasn’t in­clus­ive and didn’t re­spect the views of all Egyp­tians,” Obama said. But the cur­rent power struc­ture in place is ob­ject­ively no bet­ter. The latest re­ports say more than 520 are dead in Egypt after Wed­nes­day’s vi­ol­ence in Cairo. “We’ve seen a more dan­ger­ous path taken,” the pres­id­ent said. “The United States strongly con­demns the steps that have been taken by Egypt’s in­ter­im gov­ern­ment and se­cur­ity forces. We de­plore vi­ol­ence against ci­vil­ians.”

This is the latest in a series of in­cre­ment­al in­creases of “con­cern” by the pres­id­ent. Up to now, the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s re­sponse to the on­go­ing un­rest has been more rhet­or­ic­al than ac­tion-ori­ented. Obama has called for cool­er heads and demo­cracy to pre­vail, but as his crit­ics will point out, he has not yet de­cided to la­bel the un­rest a “coup” and cut off $1.3 bil­lion in aid to the na­tion. (For some per­spect­ive, George Pack­er in The New York­er points out that Qatar provided $8 bil­lion to Mor­si, “and Saudi Ar­a­bia, the United Ar­ab Emir­ates, and Kuwait im­me­di­ately prom­ised $12 bil­lion to the in­ter­im re­gime”). O n Wed­nes­day, when asked if the changes in Egypt should now be con­sidered a coup, deputy White House press sec­ret­ary Josh Earn­est said,  “It is not in the in­terests of the United States to make that de­term­in­a­tion.” Though, Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry called the events “de­plor­able” and “a ser­i­ous blow to re­con­cili­ation.”

Last month, when mass protests forced then-Egyp­tian Pres­id­ent Mo­hamed Mor­si out of of­fice, Obama said, “I now call on the Egyp­tian mil­it­ary to move quickly and re­spons­ibly to re­turn full au­thor­ity back to a demo­crat­ic­ally elec­ted ci­vil­ian gov­ern­ment as soon as pos­sible through an in­clus­ive and trans­par­ent pro­cess, and to avoid any ar­bit­rary ar­rests of Pres­id­ent Mor­si and his sup­port­ers.”

Clearly, auto­mat­ic rifle fire and tear gas were not what the pres­id­ent had in mind when he said “move quickly and re­spons­ibly.”

{{ BIZOBJ (video: 4388) }}

What We're Following See More »
‘PULLING A TRUMP’
GOP Budget Chiefs Won’t Invite Administration to Testify
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The administration will release its 2017 budget blueprint tomorrow, but the House and Senate budget committees won’t be inviting anyone from the White House to come talk about it. “The chairmen of the House and Senate Budget committees released a joint statement saying it simply wasn’t worth their time” to hear from OMB Director Shaun Donovan. Accusing the members of pulling a “Donald Trump,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the move “raises some questions about how confident they are about the kinds of arguments that they could make.”

Source:
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
1 days ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
THE LAST ROUND OF NEW HAMPSHIRE POLLS
Trump Is Still Ahead, but Who’s in Second?
12 hours ago
THE LATEST

We may not be talking about New Hampshire primary polls for another three-and-a-half years, so here goes:

  • American Research Group’s tracking poll has Donald Trump in the lead with 30% support, followed by Marco Rubio and John Kasich tying for second place at 16%. On the Democratic side, Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 53%-41%.
  • The 7 News/UMass Lowell tracking poll has Trump way out front with 34%, followed by Rubio and Ted Cruz with 13% apiece. Among the Democrats, Sanders is in front 56%-40%.
  • A Gravis poll puts Trump ahead with 28%, followed by Kasich with 17% and Rubio with 15%.
×