White House Peace Vigil Taken Down After 32 Years

Police removed the encampment early Thursday morning after it was left unattended. But the activists restored the vigil later that day.

Concepcion Picciotto's 24- hour-a-day peace vigil against nuclear weapons.
National Journal
Matt Vasilogambros
Sept. 12, 2013, 8:26 a.m.

Any­one who’s ever walked or rode a bike by the White House on Pennsylvania Av­en­ue has no­ticed an ad­di­tion to La­fay­ette Park that city de­sign­ers hadn’t en­vi­sioned: a small tent, sand­wiched between two yel­low signs call­ing for an end to nuc­le­ar pro­lif­er­a­tion.

“Live by the bomb die by the bomb” and “Ban all nuc­le­ar weapons or have a nice dooms­day” were painted on the signs.

It has stood there since 1981. But at around 1:45 a.m. Thursday, it was taken down.

Of­fi­cials are al­lowed to re­move these kinds of en­camp­ments that are left un­at­ten­ded. Early Thursday morn­ing, one of the people sit­ting in the tent walked away. No­ti­cing this, U.S. Park Po­lice dis­mantled the tent, end­ing three dec­ades of be­ing one of the pres­id­ent’s closest neigh­bors.

It’s un­clear why the man left.

In re­cent years, Con­cep­cion Pic­ci­otto, the Span­ish-born wo­man who star­ted the en­camp­ment, has had the help of vo­lun­teers to staff the tent and rep­res­ent her ideals. They all live in a home in North­w­est D.C. called the “Peace House.”

But later that day, the act­iv­ists were able to re­store the peace vi­gil back to its ori­gin­al loc­a­tion. Jef­frey Olson, a spokes­man for the Na­tion­al Park Ser­vice, con­firmed that the vi­gil had been re­stored and said the Park Ser­vice was jus­ti­fied in re­mov­ing the en­camp­ment in the first place.

“While a 24-hour vi­gil site gen­er­ally does not re­quire a per­mit, it must be con­tinu­ously at­ten­ded,” Olson said in a state­ment.

The ma­ter­i­als were taken to a Park Ser­vice sta­tion in Anacos­tia “for safe keep­ing.” Mem­bers of the Peace House re­trieved those items this morn­ing and brought them back to La­fay­ette Park.

(AP Photo/Charles Dhar­apak)
What We're Following See More »
‘PULLING A TRUMP’
GOP Budget Chiefs Won’t Invite Administration to Testify
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The administration will release its 2017 budget blueprint tomorrow, but the House and Senate budget committees won’t be inviting anyone from the White House to come talk about it. “The chairmen of the House and Senate Budget committees released a joint statement saying it simply wasn’t worth their time” to hear from OMB Director Shaun Donovan. Accusing the members of pulling a “Donald Trump,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the move “raises some questions about how confident they are about the kinds of arguments that they could make.”

Source:
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
1 days ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
THE LAST ROUND OF NEW HAMPSHIRE POLLS
Trump Is Still Ahead, but Who’s in Second?
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

We may not be talking about New Hampshire primary polls for another three-and-a-half years, so here goes:

  • American Research Group’s tracking poll has Donald Trump in the lead with 30% support, followed by Marco Rubio and John Kasich tying for second place at 16%. On the Democratic side, Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 53%-41%.
  • The 7 News/UMass Lowell tracking poll has Trump way out front with 34%, followed by Rubio and Ted Cruz with 13% apiece. Among the Democrats, Sanders is in front 56%-40%.
  • A Gravis poll puts Trump ahead with 28%, followed by Kasich with 17% and Rubio with 15%.
IT’S ALL ABOUT SECOND PLACE
CNN Calls the Primary for Sanders and Trump
3 hours ago
THE LATEST

Well that didn’t take long. CNN has already declared Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump the winners of the New Hampshire primary, leaving the rest of the candidates to fight for the scraps. Five minutes later, the Associated Press echoed CNN’s call.

Source:
×