Harry Reid: ‘I’m Happy as a Lark’

A reporter asks the Senate majority leader if he’s happy. Confusion ensues.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nev. listens during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012, where he discussed Tuesday's election. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
Matt Berman
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Matt Berman
Sept. 12, 2013, 12:40 p.m.

Nev­er ask Harry Re­id if he’s happy. You’ll only get a whole mess of an an­swer.

A re­port­er for the Reno News & Re­view in the Demo­crat’s home state of Nevada learned that on Thursday in a Q&A with the Sen­ate ma­jor­ity lead­er. Here’s the ex­cerpt:

Are you happy?

What do you mean? I like what I’m do­ing?

Yes. Are you en­joy­ing your life?

People say, “Hav­ing fun?” I’m not hav­ing fun. I feel very sat­is­fied with my job. I like what I do. It’s what I’ve done all my life, most of my life, le­gis­lat­or.”¦ And I really do feel good about what I’ve been able to ac­com­plish. I feel good about my caucus.”¦ It’s not like play­ing a card game. It’s a job. It’s a hard job, but I get great sat­is­fac­tion out of what I do. And I have a won­der­ful fam­ily. I en­joy my fam­ily and don’t be­grudge the fact — one of my pet peeves is, “Oh, man, I wish I could have spent more time with my fam­ily.” I don’t say that. I’ve spent plenty of time with my fam­ily. I’m happy as a lark.

What ex­actly does it mean to be as happy as a lark? Well, the phrase comes from the cheer­ful song of the bird. So let’s just watch a clip of that, and try to think of Harry Re­id.

That do it for you? If not, how about this: We all know that when Harry Re­id wants to crack a joke to the press, he re­sorts to a quote from one of his fa­vor­ite ath­letes, Wash­ing­ton Na­tion­al Bryce Harp­er. Re­id first pulled out Harp­er’s trade­marked press-room re­tort last sum­mer:

Re­id re­used the line this sum­mer.

So, could Harry Re­id be chan­nel­ing an­oth­er ma­jor sports fig­ure in his an­swer to wheth­er or not he’s happy? In Novem­ber 2012, NBA re­port­er Dav­id Ald­ridge asked San Ant­o­nio Spurs head coach Gregg Pop­ovich how “happy” he was with his team’s shot se­lec­tion dur­ing a game.

“Happy?” Pop­ovich asked. “Happy’s not a word that we think about in the game. You gotta think of something dif­fer­ent. Happy — I don’t know how to judge ‘happy.’ We’re in the middle of a con­test, nobody’s happy.”

Now that sounds more like Sen. Re­id. Oh, and the video helps:

TOLD NOT TO DISCUSS WHITE HOUSE WORK
Bannon’s Attorney Passed Along Questions to White House
2 minutes ago
THE LATEST

"Steve Bannon’s attorney relayed questions, in real time, to the White House during a House Intelligence Committee interview of the former Trump chief strategist" on Tuesday. "Bannon’s attorney Bill Burck was asking the White House counsel’s office by phone whether his client could answer the questions. He was told by that office not to discuss his work on the transition or in the White House."

HAS LED ENERGY ASSN FOR TEN YEARS
Jack Gerard Stepping Down from API
4 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

"The top lobbyist for the U.S. oil-and-gas industry is stepping down after 10 years on the job. Jack Gerard, the president and CEO of the American Petroleum Institute, sent an email to his staff on Wednesday morning saying that he decided not to seek another five-year contract with the nation’s largest oil-and-gas industry trade association."

MORE FALLOUT FROM “SHITHOLE” COMMENT
CBC, Judiciary Committee Dems Move to Censure Trump
1 hours ago
THE LATEST
CARPER IS ONLY DEMOCRAT TO VOTE YES
Azar Nomination Passes Committee
1 hours ago
THE LATEST
“NOT HELPING AT ALL”
Trump Accuses Russia of Helping North Korea Evade Sanctions
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Donald Trump said on Wednesday Russia is helping North Korea get supplies in violation of international sanctions and that Pyongyang is getting 'closer every day' to being able to deliver a long-range missile to the United States. 'Russia is not helping us at all with North Korea,' Trump said during an Oval Office interview with Reuters. 'What China is helping us with, Russia is denting. In other words, Russia is making up for some of what China is doing.'"

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.