Harry Reid: ‘I’m Happy as a Lark’

A reporter asks the Senate majority leader if he’s happy. Confusion ensues.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nev. listens during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012, where he discussed Tuesday's election. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
Matt Berman
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Matt Berman
Sept. 12, 2013, 12:40 p.m.

Nev­er ask Harry Re­id if he’s happy. You’ll only get a whole mess of an an­swer.

A re­port­er for the Reno News & Re­view in the Demo­crat’s home state of Nevada learned that on Thursday in a Q&A with the Sen­ate ma­jor­ity lead­er. Here’s the ex­cerpt:

Are you happy?

What do you mean? I like what I’m do­ing?

Yes. Are you en­joy­ing your life?

People say, “Hav­ing fun?” I’m not hav­ing fun. I feel very sat­is­fied with my job. I like what I do. It’s what I’ve done all my life, most of my life, le­gis­lat­or.”¦ And I really do feel good about what I’ve been able to ac­com­plish. I feel good about my caucus.”¦ It’s not like play­ing a card game. It’s a job. It’s a hard job, but I get great sat­is­fac­tion out of what I do. And I have a won­der­ful fam­ily. I en­joy my fam­ily and don’t be­grudge the fact — one of my pet peeves is, “Oh, man, I wish I could have spent more time with my fam­ily.” I don’t say that. I’ve spent plenty of time with my fam­ily. I’m happy as a lark.

What ex­actly does it mean to be as happy as a lark? Well, the phrase comes from the cheer­ful song of the bird. So let’s just watch a clip of that, and try to think of Harry Re­id.

That do it for you? If not, how about this: We all know that when Harry Re­id wants to crack a joke to the press, he re­sorts to a quote from one of his fa­vor­ite ath­letes, Wash­ing­ton Na­tion­al Bryce Harp­er. Re­id first pulled out Harp­er’s trade­marked press-room re­tort last sum­mer:

Re­id re­used the line this sum­mer.

So, could Harry Re­id be chan­nel­ing an­oth­er ma­jor sports fig­ure in his an­swer to wheth­er or not he’s happy? In Novem­ber 2012, NBA re­port­er Dav­id Ald­ridge asked San Ant­o­nio Spurs head coach Gregg Pop­ovich how “happy” he was with his team’s shot se­lec­tion dur­ing a game.

“Happy?” Pop­ovich asked. “Happy’s not a word that we think about in the game. You gotta think of something dif­fer­ent. Happy — I don’t know how to judge ‘happy.’ We’re in the middle of a con­test, nobody’s happy.”

Now that sounds more like Sen. Re­id. Oh, and the video helps:

DOCUMENTS OBTAINED BY U.S. INTEL
Putin-Linked Think Tank Developed Plan to Influence U.S. Election
3 days ago
THE LATEST

A Russian government think tank run by Putin loyalists "developed a plan to swing the 2016 U.S. presidential election to Donald Trump and undermine voters’ faith in the American electoral system." Two confidential documents from the Putin-backed Institute for Strategic Studies, obtained by U.S. intelligence, provide "the framework and rationale for what U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded was an intensive effort by Russia to interfere with the Nov. 8 election."

HELPED WIN FISA APPROVAL
FBI Relied on Dossier Allegations to Monitor Page
4 days ago
THE LATEST

"The FBI last year used a dossier of allegations of Russian ties to Donald Trump's campaign as part of the justification" to monitor Carter Page, who was then a defense adviser to the Trump campaign. "The dossier has also been cited by FBI Director James Comey in some of his briefings to members of Congress in recent weeks."

AIR FORCE SCRAMBLES JETS IN RESPONSE
Russian Bombers Fly Near Alaska
5 days ago
WHY WE CARE
A MESSAGE TO RUSSIA?
Pentagon Deploying F-35s to Europe
1 weeks ago
THE LATEST

"The Air Force is set to deploy its high-tech, fifth-generation F-35A fighter jets to Europe this weekend as part of an effort to assure U.S. allies there who are worried about Russian aggression." The new, state-of-the-art fighters will train with European air units. "The Pentagon noted that the deployment had been long planned, meaning it was not a reaction to recent increasing tensions between the United States and Russia," although a statement noted the move is part of the "European Reassurance Initiative," which began three years ago when Russia annexed Crimea.

NOT ON SCHEDULE
Tillerson Meets Putin
1 weeks ago
BREAKING

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.