North Korea Calls for Return to Six-Party Talks on Unconditional Basis

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Sept. 18, 2013, 7:02 a.m.

A high-rank­ing North Korean of­fi­cial on Wed­nes­day said his gov­ern­ment wants to re­in­vig­or­ate mul­tina­tion­al ne­go­ti­ations over its nuc­le­ar-weapons pro­gram, but only if there are no pre­con­di­tions, the Yon­hap News Agency re­por­ted on Wed­nes­day.

“We are ready to enter the six-party talks without pre­con­di­tions,” First Vice For­eign Min­is­ter Kim Kye Gwan said at a Beijing con­fer­ence fo­cused on re­viv­ing the nuc­le­ar ne­go­ti­ations.

“At­tach­ing pre­con­di­tions to our of­fer of dia­logue would cause mis­trust,” said Kim, the North’s seni­or nuc­le­ar ne­go­ti­at­or.

The six-na­tion talks en­com­pass China, Ja­pan, the two Koreas, Rus­sia and the United States, which last held form­al talks in Decem­ber 2008. In the years since, Py­ongy­ang has dra­mat­ic­ally ad­vanced its nuc­le­ar-weapons work, car­ry­ing out sev­er­al long-range mis­sile tests, det­on­at­ing two atom­ic devices and ex­pand­ing its fis­sile-ma­ter­i­al pro­duc­tion cap­ab­il­it­ies.

Wash­ing­ton, Seoul and Tokyo say they are not in­ter­ested in re­turn­ing to the aid-for-de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion ne­go­ti­ations with the North un­til it first makes a con­crete demon­stra­tion of its will­ing­ness to per­man­ently end its nuc­le­ar-weapons de­vel­op­ment. North Korea ob­jects to any such con­di­tions be­ing placed around ne­go­ti­ations.

Chinese For­eign Min­is­ter Wang Yi on Wed­nes­day told the con­fer­ence the nuc­le­ar ne­go­ti­ations should quickly be re­sumed, Yon­hap sep­ar­ately re­por­ted.

The min­istry or­gan­ized the for­um in the hopes that all six-party par­ti­cipants would send their nuc­le­ar ne­go­ti­at­ors for semi-form­al talks around op­tions for re­in­vig­or­at­ing the dia­logue. However, Ja­pan, South Korea and the United States de­clined to send seni­or of­fi­cials.

The U.S. em­bassy in Beijing sent an of­fi­cial to ob­serve the pro­ceed­ings, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­por­ted.

Beijing re­portedly has floated a pro­pos­al to Seoul, Tokyo and Wash­ing­ton to of­fer Py­ongy­ang some new non­ag­gres­sion as­sur­ances. However, the three al­lies have re­spon­ded coolly to the idea, ac­cord­ing to Ky­odo News.

North Korea jus­ti­fies its nuc­le­ar-weapons work by main­tain­ing it is threatened by the much-great­er U.S. ar­sen­al, as well as the United States’ mil­it­ary al­li­ances with Ja­pan and South Korea.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
20 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×