Tom DeLay Was Praying When Acquittal Came Through

Former majority leader: “I just thank the Lord for carrying me through all this.”

Billy House
Add to Briefcase
Billy House
Sept. 19, 2013, 9:16 a.m.

Former House Ma­jor­ity Lead­er Tom DeLay, R-Texas, says he happened to be on his knees pray­ing at a Cap­it­ol Hill get-to­geth­er when he got the news Thursday that a Texas court over­turned his con­vic­tion in a money-laun­der­ing case stem­ming from the 2002 elec­tions.

“We were all ba­sic­ally on our knees pray­ing,” said DeLay, once known in the na­tion’s cap­it­al as The Ham­mer. “And my law­yer calls and says, ‘You’re a free man!’ “

After some more pray­ing, DeLay said he and sev­er­al oth­ers walked over to the Cap­it­ol, where he had an­oth­er ap­point­ment in the Ro­tunda chapel. It was there that re­port­ers found him.

“So, it’s a really happy day for me. And I just thank the Lord for car­ry­ing me through all this,” said DeLay, stand­ing in a hall­way, just a few yards from the suite of of­fices he once in­hab­ited.

DeLay, 66, said he had no in­ten­tions of re­turn­ing to elect­ive of­fice be­cause “there’s too [many] oth­er things the Lord wants me to do.” But he also noted he’s been around the “polit­ic­al arena” in oth­er ways, “nev­er left it,” and in­tends to re­main act­ive.

DeLay was con­victed by a jury in Novem­ber 2010 on state charges of il­leg­ally fun­nel­ing cor­por­ate money through the Re­pub­lic­an Na­tion­al Com­mit­tee to help elect GOP can­did­ates to the Texas Le­gis­lature in 2002. That de­cision was over­turned on ap­peal Thursday.

The court’s de­cision means he can­not be re­tried.

DeLay had been sen­tenced to three years in pris­on on a con­spir­acy charge and five years for money laun­der­ing. He had re­mained free while ap­peal­ing his case. Through six grand jur­ies and his tri­al, DeLay had main­tained his in­no­cence, say­ing the pro­sec­u­tion was polit­ic­ally mo­tiv­ated.

Thursday, DeLay ex­plained that he happened to be in Wash­ing­ton this week be­cause, “out of the blue, these guys called me and said there were some things we want to talk about.” He did not get spe­cif­ic, but said it in­volved get­ting to­geth­er “and start­ing something,” and that when he heard the news he was at that time at­tend­ing dis­cus­sions about a “na­tion­wide pray­er op­er­a­tion.”

In fact, it was his re­li­gious faith, DeLay said, that got him through his leg­al troubles. He said that “drove my de­tract­ors crazy be­cause, you know, I had the joy of Je­sus through me, and they don’t un­der­stand that.”

But in ad­di­tion to re­ly­ing on his faith, DeLay also had to spend mil­lions on the case. “I have raised and spend in leg­al fees over that peri­od of time over $12 mil­lion,” he said.

DeLay re­called that his leg­al prob­lems, for him, ac­tu­ally began in 1995 with the House Eth­ics Com­mit­tee, and then the-Demo­crat­ic Con­gres­sion­al Cam­paign Com­mit­tee, he said, “an­nounced they were go­ing to get me.”

“Be­cause that’s what they want to do, they des­troy,” he said.

Asked wheth­er he might be able to help cur­rent House Re­pub­lic­an lead­ers in get­ting their con­fer­ence be­hind pas­sage of a short-term gov­ern­ment fund­ing meas­ure, DeLay re­spon­ded, “They haven’t asked me to.”

“But I could do it,” he said.

Is McMullin Building the GOP in Exile?
36 minutes ago

Evan McMullin, the independent conservative candidate who may win his home state of Utah, is quietly planning to turn his candidacy into a broader movement for principled conservatism. He tells BuzzFeed he's "skeptical" that the Republican party can reform itself "within a generation" and that the party's internal "disease" can't be cured via "the existing infrastructure.” The ex-CIA employee and Capitol Hill staffer says, “I have seen and worked with a lot of very courageous people in my time [but] I have seen a remarkable display of cowardice over the last couple of months in our leaders.” McMullin's team has assembled organizations in the 11 states where he's on the ballot, and adviser Rick Wilson says "there’s actually a very vibrant market for our message in the urban northeast and in parts of the south."

Clinton Up 9 in USA Today Poll; Up 3 According to Fox
47 minutes ago

A new USA Today/Suffolk University poll finds Clinton leads Trump by 9 points nationwide, 47% to 38%. A Fox News national poll has Clinton up just three points, 44% to 41% over Trump.

Too Many Potential Enrollees Paying Obamacare Penalties Instead
1 hours ago

One of the main reasons for the recent Obamacare premium hikes is that many potential enrollees have simply decided to pay the tax penalty for remaining uninsured, rather than pay for insurance. More than 8 million people paid the penalty in 2014, and preliminary numbers for 2015 suggest that the number approaches 6 million. "For the young and healthy who are badly needed to make the exchanges work, it is sometimes cheaper to pay the Internal Revenue Service than an insurance company charging large premiums, with huge deductibles."

Cruz: Eight Justices Could Be an Ongoing Situation
2 hours ago

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said that "there was “precedent” for a Supreme Court with fewer than nine justices—appearing to suggest that the blockade on nominee Merrick Garland could last past the election." Speaking to reporters in Colorado, Cruz said: "I would note, just recently, that Justice Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That’s a debate that we are going to have.”

Chaffetz Also Caves, Says He’ll Vote Trump
5 hours ago

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.