Tom DeLay Was Praying When Acquittal Came Through

Former majority leader: “I just thank the Lord for carrying me through all this.”

Billy House
Sept. 19, 2013, 9:16 a.m.

Former House Ma­jor­ity Lead­er Tom DeLay, R-Texas, says he happened to be on his knees pray­ing at a Cap­it­ol Hill get-to­geth­er when he got the news Thursday that a Texas court over­turned his con­vic­tion in a money-laun­der­ing case stem­ming from the 2002 elec­tions.

“We were all ba­sic­ally on our knees pray­ing,” said DeLay, once known in the na­tion’s cap­it­al as The Ham­mer. “And my law­yer calls and says, ‘You’re a free man!’ “

After some more pray­ing, DeLay said he and sev­er­al oth­ers walked over to the Cap­it­ol, where he had an­oth­er ap­point­ment in the Ro­tunda chapel. It was there that re­port­ers found him.

“So, it’s a really happy day for me. And I just thank the Lord for car­ry­ing me through all this,” said DeLay, stand­ing in a hall­way, just a few yards from the suite of of­fices he once in­hab­ited.

DeLay, 66, said he had no in­ten­tions of re­turn­ing to elect­ive of­fice be­cause “there’s too [many] oth­er things the Lord wants me to do.” But he also noted he’s been around the “polit­ic­al arena” in oth­er ways, “nev­er left it,” and in­tends to re­main act­ive.

DeLay was con­victed by a jury in Novem­ber 2010 on state charges of il­leg­ally fun­nel­ing cor­por­ate money through the Re­pub­lic­an Na­tion­al Com­mit­tee to help elect GOP can­did­ates to the Texas Le­gis­lature in 2002. That de­cision was over­turned on ap­peal Thursday.

The court’s de­cision means he can­not be re­tried.

DeLay had been sen­tenced to three years in pris­on on a con­spir­acy charge and five years for money laun­der­ing. He had re­mained free while ap­peal­ing his case. Through six grand jur­ies and his tri­al, DeLay had main­tained his in­no­cence, say­ing the pro­sec­u­tion was polit­ic­ally mo­tiv­ated.

Thursday, DeLay ex­plained that he happened to be in Wash­ing­ton this week be­cause, “out of the blue, these guys called me and said there were some things we want to talk about.” He did not get spe­cif­ic, but said it in­volved get­ting to­geth­er “and start­ing something,” and that when he heard the news he was at that time at­tend­ing dis­cus­sions about a “na­tion­wide pray­er op­er­a­tion.”

In fact, it was his re­li­gious faith, DeLay said, that got him through his leg­al troubles. He said that “drove my de­tract­ors crazy be­cause, you know, I had the joy of Je­sus through me, and they don’t un­der­stand that.”

But in ad­di­tion to re­ly­ing on his faith, DeLay also had to spend mil­lions on the case. “I have raised and spend in leg­al fees over that peri­od of time over $12 mil­lion,” he said.

DeLay re­called that his leg­al prob­lems, for him, ac­tu­ally began in 1995 with the House Eth­ics Com­mit­tee, and then the-Demo­crat­ic Con­gres­sion­al Cam­paign Com­mit­tee, he said, “an­nounced they were go­ing to get me.”

“Be­cause that’s what they want to do, they des­troy,” he said.

Asked wheth­er he might be able to help cur­rent House Re­pub­lic­an lead­ers in get­ting their con­fer­ence be­hind pas­sage of a short-term gov­ern­ment fund­ing meas­ure, DeLay re­spon­ded, “They haven’t asked me to.”

“But I could do it,” he said.

BACKING OUT ON BERNIE
Trump Won’t Debate Sanders After All
1 days ago
THE LATEST

Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”

AKNOWLEDGING THE INEVITABLE
UAW: Time to Unite Behind Hillary
2 days ago
THE DETAILS

"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.

AP KEEPING COUNT
Trump Clinches Enough Delegates for the Nomination
2 days ago
THE LATEST

"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."

TRUMP FLOATED IDEA ON JIMMY KIMMEL’S SHOW
Trump/Sanders Debate Before California Primary?
2 days ago
THE LATEST
CAMPAIGNS INJECTED NEW AD MONEY
California: It’s Not Over Yet
2 days ago
THE LATEST

"Clinton and Bernie Sanders "are now devoting additional money to television advertising. A day after Sanders announced a new ad buy of less than $2 million in the state, Clinton announced her own television campaign. Ads featuring actor Morgan Freeman as well as labor leader and civil rights activist Dolores Huerta will air beginning on Fridayin Fresno, Sacramento, and Los Angeles media markets. Some ads will also target Latino voters and Asian American voters. The total value of the buy is about six figures according to the Clinton campaign." Meanwhile, a new poll shows Sanders within the margin of error, trailing Clinton 44%-46%.