U.S., North Korean Officials Rumored to Swap Notes on Atomic Talks

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
Sept. 26, 2013, 6:02 a.m.

The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion’s one­time point-man for North Korean policy met with a seni­or of­fi­cial from Py­ongy­ang in Ger­many, Ky­odo News re­por­ted on Wed­nes­day, cit­ing an in­formed source.

Former U.S. Spe­cial Rep­res­ent­at­ive for North Korea Policy Steph­en Bos­worth spoke in Ber­lin with Ri Yong Ho, North Korea’s rep­res­ent­at­ive to the six-party aid-for-de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion ne­go­ti­ations, the source said.

The re­por­ted meet­ing fol­lows a re­cent gath­er­ing in Beijing of a num­ber of aca­dem­ics and gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials from par­ti­cipants in the talks — which are between China, Ja­pan, the two Koreas, Rus­sia and the United States and last were held in Decem­ber 2008.

A seni­or North Korean of­fi­cial told at­tendees of the Beijing meet­ing that his gov­ern­ment was in­ter­ested in re­turn­ing to ne­go­ti­ations, but only with no pre­con­di­tions. The United States and its al­lies South Korea and Ja­pan say they will not par­ti­cip­ate in new talks un­til Py­ongy­ang first makes a show of good faith on its com­mit­ment to de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion. At the same time, news re­ports over the last few weeks sug­gest the North is mak­ing head­way on sev­er­al fronts in its abil­ity to do­mest­ic­ally pro­duce fis­sile ma­ter­i­al — a de­vel­op­ment that if true would make it very dif­fi­cult in the fu­ture to have much con­fid­ence the coun­try was ad­her­ing to any new de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion deal.

In or­der to pres­sure the Kim Jong Un re­gime in­to giv­ing up its nuc­le­ar weapons work, con­cerned na­tions should tight­en fin­an­cial pen­al­ties against the North, former Bush ad­min­is­tra­tion Na­tion­al Se­cur­ity Coun­cil staffer Dav­id Ash­er told the Yon­hap News Agency.

“The whole pro­cess [of the six-party talks] has value, but none of this is likely to suc­ceed in get­ting North Korea to give up its nuc­le­ar pro­gram un­less we are will­ing to threaten the re­gime … in a way that in­tern­ally threatens it — tak­ing away their money and for­cing them to fight among them­selves,” said Ash­er, who also served as co­ordin­at­or of the North Korea Work­ing Group at the State De­part­ment.

“If we want, or have any hope [of] try­ing to get them to change their nuc­le­ar pos­ture, let alone give up their nuc­le­ar weapons, we are gonna have to aim at the fin­an­cial heart of Kim Jong Un’s re­gime.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
1 days ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×