Oil executive Harold Hamm, who made billions tapping the vast Bakken oil field in North Dakota before other companies saw the potential, sounded a pessimistic tone about whether the industry will develop California’s Monterey Shale formation, which is estimated to have possibly five times more oil.
“It’s just been tough to break the code on how to get that,” said Hamm, founder and CEO of Continental Resources, an independent oil company with the largest footprint in the Bakken oil fields in Western North Dakota. “Everybody thought they could and it hasn’t worked out.”
He added that the field, which is located in the San Joaquin Valley in central California, has not yet matured to a form that companies could develop with today’s technologies.
Speaking at a dinner Wednesday night in Washington with media reporters and other independent-petroleum executives, Hamm said his company had considered pursuing the Monterey formation.
“We went there and thought it might have a lot of potential,” Hamm said. “I’d be out there, but I just can’t do anything different than some of the people who have already been there and made that attempt.”
The oil industry’s potential pursuit of the Monterey shale formation has triggered an intense debate over hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in California, a drilling technique that’s helped unlock vast reserves of oil and natural gas around the country, including in North Dakota. But it’s controversial for the environmental risks associated with it, including water contamination.
Last month, California’s Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown passed a law regulating fracking.
Called a “pioneer” by Interior Secretary Sally Jewell this summer for his early insight into the oil industry’s potential in North Dakota, Hamm’s glum outlook for the Monterey doesn’t bode well for producers looking to tap into it.
“I don’t see — ” Hamm stopped mid-sentence and recast what he said: “It’s yet to be seen”¦It might have a lot of potential, but there are reasons why it’s not being produced.”
What We're Following See More »
"The Obama administration on Tuesday called on U.S. states to ban agreements prohibiting many workers from moving to their employers’ rivals, saying it would lead to a more competitive labor market and faster wage growth. The administration said so-called non-compete agreements interfere with worker mobility and states should consider barring companies from requiring low-wage workers and other employees who are not privy to trade secrets or other special circumstances to sign them."
House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz plans to spend "years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton." Chaffetz told the Washington Post: “It’s a target-rich environment. Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.”
Hillary Clinton's transition team has in place strict rules to limit the influence that lobbyists could have "in crafting the nominee’s policy agenda." The move makes it unlikely, at least for now, that Clinton would overturn Obama's executive order limiting the role that lobbyists play in government
Federal employees from 14 agencies have given nearly $2 million in campaign donations in the presidential race thus far, and 95 percent of the donations, totaling $1.9 million, have been to the Clinton campaign. Employees at the State Department, which Clinton lead for four years, has given 99 percent of its donations to the Democratic nominee.
Trying to save control of the Senate, the Senate Leadership Fund, a super PAC with ties to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, is spending $25 million on six races over the last two weeks of the race. Republicans have been consistently outspent in a majority of the Senate races this cycle. Aside from spending in Nevada, all the spending will come in defense of Republican-held seats.