Brazil auctioned off exploration rights for a major oil field off the coast of Rio de Janeiro on Monday to a host of foreign bidders, including Europe’s Royal Dutch Shell and China’s Cnooc Ltd. and China National Petroleum, The Wall Street Journal reports (paywall).
The field, which is known as Libra, is estimated to contain up to 12 billion barrels of recoverable oil. If this proves to be true, Libra would be poised to become one of the largest oil fields in the world.
State officials say the auction holds the promise of transforming Brazil from a net importer of oil to a net exporter, a move which would represent significant financial gains for the country. “The Libra auction is a landmark in the history of Brazil, transforming a limited resource, oil, into an undebatable gain,” Brazil’s President Dilma Rousseff said Monday.
Large numbers of Brazilians, however, are protesting the sale of exploration rights to foreign companies.
Petrobras, a Brazilian energy company, will have a stake in the reserves and Brazil is creating a new state-run company, Petroleo Presal SA, to supervise exploration in a bid to protect domestic interests. Brazilian officials have also mandated that foreign companies with a stake in the field pay $7 billion to Brazil’s Treasury up front.
A number of major U.S. and European oil companies with deep-water drilling experience declined to participate in the auction, including Exxon Mobil, Chevron, and BP. Analysts say the firms may have been hesitant to bid on the reserves due to the terms and restrictions imposed on the sale by Brazilian officials.
The deal is likely, however, to strengthen economic ties between Brazil and China, which now has a major stake in the oil field. “It makes sense for China because China needs to secure energy resources, and can spare the massive investments, meanwhile Brazil doesn’t have the savings and needs the investment,” said Charles Tang, chairman of the Brazil-China chamber of commerce.
What We're Following See More »
Since the release of the Access Hollywood tape, on which Donald Trump boasted of sexually assaulting women, "Senate Republicans have seen their fortunes dip, particularly in states like Florida, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Nevada and Pennsylvania," where Hillary Clinton now leads. Jennifer Duffy writes that she now expects Democrats to gain five to seven seats—enough to regain control of the chamber.
"Of the Senate seats in the Toss Up column, Trump only leads in Indiana and Missouri where both Republicans are running a few points behind him. ... History shows that races in the Toss Up column never split down the middle; one party tends to win the lion’s share of them."
"Some Republicans are running so far away from their party’s nominee that they are threatening to sue TV stations for running ads that suggest they support Donald Trump. Just two weeks before Election Day, five Republicans―Reps. Bob Dold (R-Ill.), Mike Coffman (R-Colo.), David Jolly (R-Fla.), John Katko (R-N.Y.) and Brian Fitzpatrick, a Pennsylvania Republican running for an open seat that’s currently occupied by his brother―contend that certain commercials paid for by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee provide false or misleading information by connecting them to the GOP nominee. Trump is so terrible, these Republicans are essentially arguing, that tying them to him amounts to defamation."
Former Illinois GOP Congressman Aaron Schock "recently agreed to pay a $10,000 fine for making an excessive solicitation for a super PAC that was active in his home state of Illinois four years ago." Schock resigned from Congress after a story about his Downton Abbey-themed congressional office raised questions about how he was using taxpayer dollars.
If you need a marker for how confident Hillary Clinton is at this point of the race, here's one: CNN's Jeff Zeleny reports "she's been talking to Republican senators, old allies and new, saying that she is willing to work with them and govern."
On Tuesday, President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines threatened to kick U.S. troops out of the country, adding that if he remains president for more than one term he will move to terminate all military deals with America. Last week, Duterte called for a separation between the two countries, though other government officials immediately said he did not mean that literally.