The White House’s NSA Logic Applied to Everything Else

National Journal wrote these responses from Jay Carney so you don’t have to.

Lucia Graves
Add to Briefcase
Lucia Graves
Oct. 23, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

After An­gela Merkel called Pres­id­ent Obama with con­cerns the U.S. had spied on her mo­bile phone, the White House gave a curi­ous re­sponse.

“I can tell you that the pres­id­ent as­sured the chan­cel­lor that the United States is not mon­it­or­ing and will not mon­it­or the com­mu­nic­a­tions of the chan­cel­lor,” said White House press sec­ret­ary Jay Car­ney.

He did not, however, ad­dress the pos­sib­il­ity that the NSA had pre­vi­ously in­ter­cep­ted the Ger­man chan­cel­lor’s com­mu­nic­a­tions as part of a broad­er eaves­drop­ping sweep.

Be­low are a few oth­er sug­ges­ted re­sponses for the White House and any­one else who’d like to dodge a ques­tion. We’ve got one for every oc­ca­sion.

Nix­on post-Wa­ter­gate: “I am not a crook. Nor in the fu­ture will I be a crook “¦ “

Nix­on dur­ing Vi­et­nam: “We are not bomb­ing Laos. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Clin­ton post-Lew­in­sky: “I am not hav­ing sexu­al re­la­tions with that wo­man. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Woody Al­len, just gen­er­ally: “I am not at this mo­ment sleep­ing with your wife. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Fired White House Staffer: “I am not tweet­ing from the NSC. Nor will I in the fu­ture “¦ “

JFK after Bay of Pigs: “We are not in­vad­ing Cuba. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Daniel Day Lewis post-milk­shake: “I am not drink­ing your milk­shake. Nor in the fu­ture will I drink your milk­shake “¦ “

CIA: “We are not tor­tur­ing Gitmo de­tain­ees. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

FDR: “We are not il­leg­ally de­tain­ing Ja­pan­ese Amer­ic­ans. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Witch: “I’m not a witch, I’m not! They dressed me up like this … “

USA: “We are not selling arms to Ir­an to secretly give money to re­volu­tion­ary Con­tras in Nicaragua. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

IRS: “The IRS is not un­fairly tar­get­ing con­ser­vat­ive groups. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Hitler: “I am not in­vad­ing Po­land now. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Matt Vasi­lo­gam­bros, Patrick C. Re­is, and Mat­thew Cooper con­trib­uted jokes and in­spir­a­tion

Morning Consult Poll: Clinton Decisively Won Debate
1 days ago

"According to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, the first national post-debate survey, 43 percent of registered voters said the Democratic candidate won, compared with 26 percent who opted for the Republican Party’s standard bearer. Her 6-point lead over Trump among likely voters is unchanged from our previous survey: Clinton still leads Trump 42 percent to 36 percent in the race for the White House, with Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson taking 9 percent of the vote."

Trump Draws Laughs, Boos at Al Smith Dinner
2 days ago

After a lighthearted beginning, Donald Trump's appearance at the Al Smith charity dinner in New York "took a tough turn as the crowd repeatedly booed the GOP nominee for his sharp-edged jokes about his rival Hillary Clinton."

McMullin Leads in New Utah Poll
2 days ago

Evan McMul­lin came out on top in a Emer­son Col­lege poll of Utah with 31% of the vote. Donald Trump came in second with 27%, while Hillary Clin­ton took third with 24%. Gary John­son re­ceived 5% of the vote in the sur­vey.

Quinnipiac Has Clinton Up by 7
2 days ago

A new Quin­nipi­ac Uni­versity poll finds Hillary Clin­ton lead­ing Donald Trump by seven percentage points, 47%-40%. Trump’s “lead among men and white voters all but” van­ished from the uni­versity’s early Oc­to­ber poll. A new PPRI/Brook­ings sur­vey shows a much bigger lead, with Clinton up 51%-36%. And an IBD/TIPP poll leans the other way, showing a vir­tu­al dead heat, with Trump tak­ing 41% of the vote to Clin­ton’s 40% in a four-way match­up.

Trump: I’ll Accept the Results “If I Win”
2 days ago

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.