The White House’s NSA Logic Applied to Everything Else

National Journal wrote these responses from Jay Carney so you don’t have to.

Lucia Graves
Add to Briefcase
Lucia Graves
Oct. 23, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

After An­gela Merkel called Pres­id­ent Obama with con­cerns the U.S. had spied on her mo­bile phone, the White House gave a curi­ous re­sponse.

“I can tell you that the pres­id­ent as­sured the chan­cel­lor that the United States is not mon­it­or­ing and will not mon­it­or the com­mu­nic­a­tions of the chan­cel­lor,” said White House press sec­ret­ary Jay Car­ney.

He did not, however, ad­dress the pos­sib­il­ity that the NSA had pre­vi­ously in­ter­cep­ted the Ger­man chan­cel­lor’s com­mu­nic­a­tions as part of a broad­er eaves­drop­ping sweep.

Be­low are a few oth­er sug­ges­ted re­sponses for the White House and any­one else who’d like to dodge a ques­tion. We’ve got one for every oc­ca­sion.

Nix­on post-Wa­ter­gate: “I am not a crook. Nor in the fu­ture will I be a crook “¦ “

Nix­on dur­ing Vi­et­nam: “We are not bomb­ing Laos. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Clin­ton post-Lew­in­sky: “I am not hav­ing sexu­al re­la­tions with that wo­man. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Woody Al­len, just gen­er­ally: “I am not at this mo­ment sleep­ing with your wife. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Fired White House Staffer: “I am not tweet­ing from the NSC. Nor will I in the fu­ture “¦ “

JFK after Bay of Pigs: “We are not in­vad­ing Cuba. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Daniel Day Lewis post-milk­shake: “I am not drink­ing your milk­shake. Nor in the fu­ture will I drink your milk­shake “¦ “

CIA: “We are not tor­tur­ing Gitmo de­tain­ees. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

FDR: “We are not il­leg­ally de­tain­ing Ja­pan­ese Amer­ic­ans. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Witch: “I’m not a witch, I’m not! They dressed me up like this … “

USA: “We are not selling arms to Ir­an to secretly give money to re­volu­tion­ary Con­tras in Nicaragua. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

IRS: “The IRS is not un­fairly tar­get­ing con­ser­vat­ive groups. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Hitler: “I am not in­vad­ing Po­land now. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Matt Vasi­lo­gam­bros, Patrick C. Re­is, and Mat­thew Cooper con­trib­uted jokes and in­spir­a­tion

POTENTIAL GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN?
Democrats Threaten Spending Bill Over Obamacare
9 minutes ago
BREAKING

Democrats in the House are threatening to shut down the government if Republicans expedite a vote on a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, said Democratic House Whip Steny Hoyer Thursday. Lawmakers have introduced a one-week spending bill to give themselves an extra week to reach a long-term funding deal, which seemed poised to pass easily. However, the White House is pressuring House Republicans to take a vote on their Obamacare replacement Friday to give Trump a legislative victory, though it is still not clear that they have the necessary votes to pass the health care bill. This could go down to the wire.

IN 2014
Pentagon Warned Flynn Not To Accept Foreign Payments
2 hours ago
BREAKING
WOULD PUSH DEADLINE TO MAY 5
One-Week Spending Bill On The Table
2 hours ago
BREAKING

Members of Congress are eyeing a one-week spending bill which would keep the government open past the Friday night deadline, giving lawmakers an extra week to iron out a long-term deal to fund the government. Without any action, the government would run out of funding starting at midnight Saturday. “I am optimistic that a final funding package will be completed soon," said Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

WILL BE RENEGOTIATED
Trump: I’m Not Pulling Out of NAFTA
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump informed Mexican President Pena Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday afternoon that he will not pull the U.S. from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) despite reports earlier in the day that he had considered doing so. ... The three leaders agreed to proceed quickly with renegotiation plans as the initial review process comes to a close."

NEVADA LAWMAKERS STILL NOT SATISFIED
House Puts Yucca Mountain Back on the Table
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"A new bill to revive a permanent nuclear waste repository in Yucca Mountain, Nev., fails to address the concerns of Nevada lawmakers, suggesting the latest attempt may not resolve a 20-year impasse over the issue." The state's congressional delegation "shared their opposition to the nuclear waste policy amendment during a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing focused on the legislation," and promised that Gov. Brian Sandoval would oppose it at every turn. "The new bill aims to finally use some $31 billion that has accumulated in the Nuclear Waste Fund, set aside in 1982 to collect specifically for a permanent repository."

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.