The White House’s NSA Logic Applied to Everything Else

National Journal wrote these responses from Jay Carney so you don’t have to.

Lucia Graves
Oct. 23, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

After An­gela Merkel called Pres­id­ent Obama with con­cerns the U.S. had spied on her mo­bile phone, the White House gave a curi­ous re­sponse.

“I can tell you that the pres­id­ent as­sured the chan­cel­lor that the United States is not mon­it­or­ing and will not mon­it­or the com­mu­nic­a­tions of the chan­cel­lor,” said White House press sec­ret­ary Jay Car­ney.

He did not, however, ad­dress the pos­sib­il­ity that the NSA had pre­vi­ously in­ter­cep­ted the Ger­man chan­cel­lor’s com­mu­nic­a­tions as part of a broad­er eaves­drop­ping sweep.

Be­low are a few oth­er sug­ges­ted re­sponses for the White House and any­one else who’d like to dodge a ques­tion. We’ve got one for every oc­ca­sion.

Nix­on post-Wa­ter­gate: “I am not a crook. Nor in the fu­ture will I be a crook “¦ “

Nix­on dur­ing Vi­et­nam: “We are not bomb­ing Laos. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Clin­ton post-Lew­in­sky: “I am not hav­ing sexu­al re­la­tions with that wo­man. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Woody Al­len, just gen­er­ally: “I am not at this mo­ment sleep­ing with your wife. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Fired White House Staffer: “I am not tweet­ing from the NSC. Nor will I in the fu­ture “¦ “

JFK after Bay of Pigs: “We are not in­vad­ing Cuba. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Daniel Day Lewis post-milk­shake: “I am not drink­ing your milk­shake. Nor in the fu­ture will I drink your milk­shake “¦ “

CIA: “We are not tor­tur­ing Gitmo de­tain­ees. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

FDR: “We are not il­leg­ally de­tain­ing Ja­pan­ese Amer­ic­ans. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Witch: “I’m not a witch, I’m not! They dressed me up like this … “

USA: “We are not selling arms to Ir­an to secretly give money to re­volu­tion­ary Con­tras in Nicaragua. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

IRS: “The IRS is not un­fairly tar­get­ing con­ser­vat­ive groups. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Hitler: “I am not in­vad­ing Po­land now. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Matt Vasi­lo­gam­bros, Patrick C. Re­is, and Mat­thew Cooper con­trib­uted jokes and in­spir­a­tion

THE QUESTION
How Many People Protested in Philly Yesterday?
1 hours ago
THE ANSWER

About 5,500, according to official estimates. "The Monday figures marked a large increase from the protests at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, where even the largest protests only drew a couple of hundred demonstrators. But it’s a far cry from the 35,000 to 50,000 that Philadelphia city officials initially expected."

NO BATTLEGROUND STATES LEAN TRUMP
NY Times’ Upshot Gives Clinton 68% Chance to Win
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

Only a day after FiveThirtyEight's Now Cast gave Donald Trump a 57% chance of winning, the New York Times' Upshot fires back with its own analysis that shows Hillary Clinton with a 68% chance to be the next president. Its model "calculates win probabilities for each state," which incorporate recent polls plus "a state's past election results and national polling." Notably, all of the battleground states that "vote like the country as a whole" either lean toward Clinton or are toss-ups. None lean toward Trump.

HOLCOMB IS A FORMER TOP AIDE
Indiana Lt. Gov. Tapped to Run for Pence’s Seat
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

On the second ballot, the Indiana Republican Party's Central Committee tapped Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb as their nominee to succeed Gov. Mike Pence this fall. "Holcomb was a top aide to former Gov. Mitch Daniels and Sen. Dan Coats and a former chairman of the state Republican Party."

AFTER ROLL CALL VOTE
Sanders May Officially Nominate Clinton
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Negotiations are underway to have Bernie Sanders officially nominate Hillary Clinton for president at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night, a move that would further signal party unity. According to a source familiar with the talks, the Vermont senator would nominate the presumptive Democratic nominee after the roll call vote."

THE REVOLUTION CONTINUES
Sanders to Channel His Movement into Local Races
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Bernie Sanders said he'll begin pivoting his campaign to an organization designed to help candidates at the local level around the country. At a breakfast for the Wisconsin delegation to the DNC this morning, he said the new group will "bring people into the political process around a progressive agenda," as it supports candidates "running for school board, for city council, for state legislature."