The White House’s NSA Logic Applied to Everything Else

National Journal wrote these responses from Jay Carney so you don’t have to.

Lucia Graves
Add to Briefcase
Lucia Graves
Oct. 23, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

After An­gela Merkel called Pres­id­ent Obama with con­cerns the U.S. had spied on her mo­bile phone, the White House gave a curi­ous re­sponse.

“I can tell you that the pres­id­ent as­sured the chan­cel­lor that the United States is not mon­it­or­ing and will not mon­it­or the com­mu­nic­a­tions of the chan­cel­lor,” said White House press sec­ret­ary Jay Car­ney.

He did not, however, ad­dress the pos­sib­il­ity that the NSA had pre­vi­ously in­ter­cep­ted the Ger­man chan­cel­lor’s com­mu­nic­a­tions as part of a broad­er eaves­drop­ping sweep.

Be­low are a few oth­er sug­ges­ted re­sponses for the White House and any­one else who’d like to dodge a ques­tion. We’ve got one for every oc­ca­sion.

Nix­on post-Wa­ter­gate: “I am not a crook. Nor in the fu­ture will I be a crook “¦ “

Nix­on dur­ing Vi­et­nam: “We are not bomb­ing Laos. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Clin­ton post-Lew­in­sky: “I am not hav­ing sexu­al re­la­tions with that wo­man. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Woody Al­len, just gen­er­ally: “I am not at this mo­ment sleep­ing with your wife. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Fired White House Staffer: “I am not tweet­ing from the NSC. Nor will I in the fu­ture “¦ “

JFK after Bay of Pigs: “We are not in­vad­ing Cuba. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Daniel Day Lewis post-milk­shake: “I am not drink­ing your milk­shake. Nor in the fu­ture will I drink your milk­shake “¦ “

CIA: “We are not tor­tur­ing Gitmo de­tain­ees. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

FDR: “We are not il­leg­ally de­tain­ing Ja­pan­ese Amer­ic­ans. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Witch: “I’m not a witch, I’m not! They dressed me up like this … “

USA: “We are not selling arms to Ir­an to secretly give money to re­volu­tion­ary Con­tras in Nicaragua. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

IRS: “The IRS is not un­fairly tar­get­ing con­ser­vat­ive groups. Nor will we in the fu­ture … “

Hitler: “I am not in­vad­ing Po­land now. Nor will I in the fu­ture … “

Matt Vasi­lo­gam­bros, Patrick C. Re­is, and Mat­thew Cooper con­trib­uted jokes and in­spir­a­tion

$618 BILLION IN FUNDING
By a Big Margin, House Passes Defense Bill
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."

SUCCEEDS UPTON
Walden to Chair Energy and Commerce Committee
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.

BIPARTISAN SUPPORT
Senators Looking to Limit Deportations Under Trump
2 days ago
THE DETAILS

"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.

REQUIRES CHANGE IN LAW
Trump Taps Mattis for Defense Secretary
2 days ago
BREAKING

Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.

MEASURE HEADED TO OBAMA
Senate OKs 10-Year Extension of Iran Sanctions
2 days ago
THE LATEST

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.