Did Sebelius Have the Authority to Delay Obamacare Website Launch?

CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner says she doesn’t know the answer.

HHS Secretary Sebelius
National Journal
Sophie Novack
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Sophie Novack
Nov. 5, 2013, 8:51 a.m.

Cen­ters for Medi­care and Medi­caid Ser­vices Ad­min­is­trat­or Mar­ilyn Taven­ner said Tues­day that she did not know wheth­er Health and Hu­man Ser­vices Sec­ret­ary Kath­leen Se­beli­us had the au­thor­ity to delay the Oct. 1 launch of Health­Care.gov.

The CMS of­fi­cial test­i­fied be­fore the Sen­ate Health, Edu­ca­tion, Labor, and Pen­sions com­mit­tee on the rocky rol­lout of the Obama­care en­roll­ment web­site.  

Taven­ner’s state­ment came as Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., ques­tioned her on the de­cision to go ahead with the sched­uled launch date des­pite in­dic­a­tions that there were se­cur­ity is­sues with the site.

Burr brought up a CMS memo dated Sept. 27 that said in­suf­fi­cient test­ing “ex­posed a level of un­cer­tainty that can be deemed as a high risk,” just a few days be­fore the site went live. The memo — signed by Taven­ner — gran­ted au­thor­ity to pro­ceed with the web­site launch.

“I think in this case, be­cause of the vis­ib­il­ity of the ex­change, the chief in­form­a­tion of­ficer wanted to make me aware of it, and I agreed to sign it, with their re­com­mend­a­tion to pro­ceed,” Taven­ner said, ex­plain­ing that no one else, in­clud­ing Se­beli­us, re­viewed that de­cision.

“My ex­pect­a­tion was that the site would work, but have the cus­tom­ary glitches of any new site,” she said of the Health­Care.gov launch.

Law­makers have tried to get to the bot­tom of what ex­actly was known about the ex­tent of the web­site’s prob­lems pri­or to Oct. 1, and who made the ul­ti­mate de­cision to go ahead with the sched­uled launch date des­pite in­dic­a­tions of trouble.

HHS did not im­me­di­ately re­spond to a re­quest for com­ment on wheth­er Se­beli­us had that au­thor­ity.

Here today’s ex­change:

Burr: “Sec­ret­ary Se­beli­us said last week that the im­ple­ment­a­tion took place on Oct. 1 be­cause that was the law. Now let me ask you: I’ve read the act sev­er­al times. My in­ter­pret­a­tion is that Sec­ret­ary Se­beli­us had the au­thor­ity not to ex­ecute that on Oct. 1 — and clearly my in­ter­pret­a­tion — if you had not signed the au­thor­ity to op­er­ate the web­site, it would not have stood up on Oct. 1. Are my two state­ments ac­cur­ate?”

Taven­ner: “I don’t know that your state­ments are ac­cur­ate. The law says that Jan. 1 is when in­di­vidu­als have to have cov­er­age. We put a reg­u­la­tion in place that said Oct. 1 would be the day we would start, so that people would have time to sign up. We did — we de­clared the six-month en­roll­ment win­dow.”

Burr: “Do you think that the sec­ret­ary had the au­thor­ity to waive the Oct. 1 reg­u­la­tion?”

Taven­ner: “I do not know the an­swer to that ques­tion.”

What We're Following See More »
STAKES ARE HIGH
Debate Could Sway One-Third of Voters
8 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that 34% of registered voters think the three presidential debates would be extremely or quite important in helping them decide whom to support for president. About 11% of voters are considered 'debate persuadables'—that is, they think the debates are important and are either third-party voters or only loosely committed to either major-party candidate."

Source:
YOU DON’T BRING ME FLOWERS ANYMORE
Gennifer Flowers May Not Appear After All
9 hours ago
THE LATEST

Will he or won't he? That's the question surrounding Donald Trump and his on-again, off-again threats to bring onetime Bill Clinton paramour Gennifer Flowers to the debate as his guest. An assistant to flowers initially said she'd be there, but Trump campaign chief Kellyanne Conway "said on ABC’s 'This Week' that the Trump campaign had not invited Flowers to the debate, but she didn’t rule out the possibility of Flowers being in the audience."

Source:
HAS BEEN OFF OF NEWSCASTS FOR A WEEK
For First Debate, Holt Called on NBC Experts for Prep
9 hours ago
THE DETAILS

NBC's Lester Holt hasn't hosted the "Nightly News" since Tuesday, as he's prepped for moderating the first presidential debate tonight—and the first of his career. He's called on a host of NBC talent to help him, namely NBC News and MSNBC chairman Andy Lack; NBC News president Deborah Turness; the news division's senior vice president of editorial, Janelle Rodriguez; "Nightly News" producer Sam Singal, "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd, senior political editor Mark Murray and political editor Carrie Dann. But during the debate itself, the only person in Holt's earpiece will be longtime debate producer Marty Slutsky.

Source:
WHITE HOUSE PROMISES VETO
House Votes to Bar Cash Payments to Iran
9 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The House passed legislation late Thursday that would prohibit the federal government from making any cash payments to Iran, in protest of President Obama's recently discovered decision to pay Iran $1.7 billion in cash in January. And while the White House has said Obama would veto the bill, 16 Democrats joined with Republicans to pass the measure, 254-163."

Source:
NO SURPRISE
Trump Eschewing Briefing Materials in Debate Prep
9 hours ago
THE DETAILS

In contrast to Hillary Clinton's meticulous debate practice sessions, Donald Trump "is largely shun­ning tra­di­tion­al de­bate pre­par­a­tions, but has been watch­ing video of…Clin­ton’s best and worst de­bate mo­ments, look­ing for her vul­ner­ab­il­it­ies.” Trump “has paid only curs­ory at­ten­tion to brief­ing ma­ter­i­als. He has re­fused to use lecterns in mock de­bate ses­sions des­pite the ur­ging of his ad­visers. He prefers spit­balling ideas with his team rather than hon­ing them in­to crisp, two-minute an­swers.”

Source:
×