FLORIDA | FL-gov

DeSantis Raised $2M in February

Levine, King, and Gillum all hauled in six-figures.

March 8, 2018, 11:02 a.m.

Rep. Ron DeSantis (R) raised $2 million last month between his campaign ($471,000) and political committee ($1.6 million) and had “over $5.2 million” on hand. (Tampa Bay Times)

Former Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine (D) announced Wednesday he self-funded another $800,000 in February and that his campaign and political committee raised a combined $450,000 last month. (release)

Housing investor Chris King (D) raised $265,441 in February, including $201,000 for his campaign and another $64,000 for his political committee. He reported $1.8 million on hand. (release)

Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum‘s (D) “campaign announced Wednesday that in February he raised more than $105,270 through his official campaign account and another $140,250 for his political committee, Forward Florida.” (Florida Politics)

STONEMAN DOUGLAS. “The Republican-led Florida House passed a school safety package that includes an unprecedented tightening of gun control regulations on Wednesday. The close vote placed reluctant GOP legislators in a vice between browbeating chamber leadership and the powerful National Rifle Association. … The … bill … would allow for the hiring of more school resources officers, physical security improvements to schools, new age and waiting-period limits on shotgun and rifle purchases and more police powers to seize weapons from dangerous people.”

State House Speaker Richard Corcoran (R): “Today, the House kept its word to the students and families of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. When we said ‘never again’ we meant it.” (Politico)

State Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam (R): “The Legislature’s commitment to funding that Safe Schools account has gone down over time. I think that complacency, unfortunately, potentially crept in. … It’s unfortunate that it took the Parkland event to refocus everyone on the need to harden these schools. … I am a member of the NRA, and that does not make us akin to someone who would kill 17 students.” (WJXT)

Levine and Gillum lauded the bill for taking steps in the right direction but called for further action to curtail gun rights. (releases)

“Gillum, during an appearance Saturday on MSNBC, accused [former Rep. Gwen Graham (D)] of campaigning on the Second Amendment when she ran for Congress. … King, during a news conference Wednesday in Tallahassee, said she never supported the ban during her time in Congress. Graham responded on Wednesday, saying in an email that the ‘attacks are predictable but sad.’ She alluded to her victory in 2014, which came after the NRA spent several hundred thousand dollars in an effort to defeat her.” (Tallahassee Democrat)

What We're Following See More »
TURKISH MAN BEING SOUGHT
Mass Shooting in Dutch City of Utrecht
0 minute ago
THE DETAILS
AUTHORIZED TO UNLOCK PHONES
Feds Raided Broidy's Offices Last Year
2 minutes ago
THE LATEST

"Federal authorities raided the office of Republican fundraiser Elliott Broidy last summer, seeking records related to his dealings with foreign officials and Trump administration associates, according to a sealed search warrant obtained by ProPublica. Agents were authorized to use the megadonor’s hands and face to unlock any phones that required fingerprint or facial scans."

Source:
CAMPAIGN BROUGHT IN $6.1 MILLION IN FIRST 24 HOURS
Beto Outraises All Other Contenders in First Day Donations
41 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

Beto O'Rourke raised $6.1 million in the first 24 hours of his presidential campaign, his campaign said Monday, in what amounts to the largest announced first-day haul of any 2020 Democratic contender to date. The former Texas congressman raised $6,136,763 in online donations from all 50 states in the first day, his campaign said. That tops the $5.9 million one-day total Sen. Bernie Sanders announced after he launched his campaign. The closest other 2020 Democratic candidate to publicize their first-day fundraising total was California Sen. Kamala Harris at $1.5 million.

Source:
NO SAFE ZONE IN THE NORTH YET
1,000 Troops to Stay in Sryia
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The U.S. military is crafting plans to keep nearly 1,000 forces in Syria, U.S. officials said, a shift that comes three months after President Trump ordered a complete withdrawal and is far more than the White House originally intended. Protracted administration talks with Turkey, European allies and U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters have so far failed to secure an agreement to create a safe zone in northeastern Syria, part of Mr. Trump’s plan for leaving Syria."

Source:
"60 MINUTES" REPORTS ON THE TECHNOLOGY
Diplomats' Brain Injuries May Be From Microwave Attacks
2 hours ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login