CA GOV: Former state schools superintendent Delaine Eastin (D) reported this week raising $337,000 in the second half of 2017 and having $184,000 on hand. She also loaned her campaign $100,000 on Nov. 20. (California Target Book)
ID GOV: Developer Tommy Ahlquist (R) raised $450,000 in the second half of the year, $326,000 of which was self-funded. (release)
MI GOV: Former state Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer (D) will report raising about $747,000 in the latest reporting period between Oct. 21 and Dec. 31. State Attorney General Bill Schuette (R) raised $735,000 in the same time and will report $2.4 million on hand, according to a spokesman. (Detroit News)
OH GOV: State Attorney General Mike DeWine’s (R) “campaign said that it would report raising more than $6 million, bringing its war chest to more than $10 million. A $6 million figure would translate to a minimum of $1.4 million raised over the past seven months by DeWine, not counting a large transfer from the campaign of former-rival, now running mate Jon Husted.”
A source with former Consumer Financial Protection Bureau director Richard Cordray’s (D) “campaign said the Democrat would report raising in excess of $1.4 million in just the eight weeks since Cordray joined the race.” (Columbus Dispatch)
PA GOV: State Sen. Scott Wagner (R) raised $4.6 million, loaned his campaign $5.6 million, and reported $5.9 million on hand. (Philly.com)
Former health care consultant Paul Mango (R) self-funded $6.7 million of his $8.4 million haul last year. He also “reported a $1 million loan from Patrick Hampson, a private equity executive who lives a few blocks from Mango in the Pittsburgh suburb of Gibsonia.” (AP)
SD GOV: State Attorney General Marty Jackley (R) “received itemized donations from 882 individuals. … Of those, 45 were from outside of South Dakota, donors in 22 other states. They donated $32,250 of Jackley’s total, or about 4 percent.” Rep. Kristi Noem (R) raised “from 611 donors. Her 90 out-of-state donors came from 26 states. She raised $111,724 from them, or 16 percent of her total.” (Sioux Falls Argus Leader)
What We're Following See More »
"Federal prosecutors have charged a former software engineer at the center of a huge C.I.A. breach with stealing classified information, theft of government property and lying to the F.B.I. The engineer, Joshua A. Schulte, 29, of New York, had been the main suspect in one of the worst losses of classified documents in the spy agency’s history. Government investigators suspect that he provided WikiLeaks, the anti-secrecy organization, with a stolen archive of documents detailing the C.I.A.’s hacking operations, but they had not initially charged him in that crime."
"The Senate voted Monday to reimpose the U.S. ban on Chinese telecom giant ZTE, in a rebuke to President Donald Trump and his efforts to keep the company in business. The provision targeting ZTE was part of the National Defense Authorization Act, a must-pass defense spending bill that cleared the Senate by a vote of 85-10. It must now be reconciled with the House version of the measure, which takes a narrower approach to ZTE." Separately, Trump is directing U.S Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to identify $200 billion more in tariffs on Chinese products.
"Two longtime associates of President Donald Trump are now acknowledging a previously undisclosed contact in May 2016 with a Russian who they say offered dirt on Hillary Clinton. Roger Stone and Michael Caputo say they forgot to tell investigators about their contact with a Russian national who goes by the name Henry Greenberg — even though they say Greenberg offered to sell incriminating information to the Trump campaign for $2 million."
"As Trump signed a joint statement with Kim Jong Un that offered few details on how the North Korean leader would make good on his vow to denuclearize, Republicans on Capitol Hill said Tuesday that they want and expect the White House to submit any final agreement for their approval." Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell called for any agreement to be in the form of a treaty.
President Trump announced that the United States will suspend "war games" with South Korea, which are "inappropriate" given his meeting with North Korean leader Kim-Jong Un. "We will be stopping the war games which will save us a tremendous amount of money," said Trump, "unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along like it should." The military exercises "carried out each year by the US and South Korean militaries have been consistently cited by Pyongyang as a US rehearsal for war, and a reason it needs to build a nuclear arsenal."