Medicaid Work Requirements Spur Uncertainty, Legal Challenges

Experts caution there could be effects on everyone in the program, not just the intended targets.

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin meeting with President Trump at the White House on Jan. 11.
AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster
Jan. 17, 2018, 8 p.m.

The Trump administration’s move allowing states to impose work requirements in Medicaid for the first time could have a broader impact on Americans in the entitlement program than intended, experts warn, with the policy shift leading to an increased chance of disenrollment for many patients.

Potentially 1.7 million people could be directly affected by the change, according to estimates from the Kaiser Family Foundation. Under the pathway laid out for states last week, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services will permit states to test work requirements for non-elderly, nonpregnant adult beneficiaries who are eligible for the program on a basis other than disability.

A day later, Kentucky became the first state to get a program approved that would require all able-bodied working-age adults to clock in at least 80 hours a month. Gov. Matt Bevin’s office described the program as a way to improve participants’ health and strengthen Medicaid’s long-term fiscal sustainability.

Although the requirements would apply only to certain beneficiaries, experts caution they could end up affecting all populations in Medicaid and result in the program dropping people who need care.

Most of the non-elderly Medicaid adults either are working already or face significant barriers to work, according to Kaiser, meaning the requirements would be imposed on only 7 percent of the population. But there are implications for everyone due to the documentation required.

“There is a real risk of eligible people losing coverage due to their inability to navigate these processes, miscommunication, or other breakdowns in the administrative process,” stated Kaiser in a brief released Tuesday. “People with disabilities may have challenges navigating the system to obtain an exemption for which they qualify and end up losing coverage.”

The overall effect of the requirements will depend on the way states implement them, Avalere Health President Dan Mendelson said. “It’s conceivable that you could stimulate some individuals to work that hadn’t been working before and that it would have a positive effect, but it’s equally conceivable that the net effects of this will result in denial of care to people who really need it,” he said.

Some experts expressed concern that the exemptions outlined in the CMS guidelines are not strong enough to ensure that people who cannot work won’t fall through the cracks. The guidance indicates that people who are eligible for Medicaid based on disability should be exempted, but that’s a narrow category, said Hannah Katch, senior policy analyst at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

“People with a mental-health disorder, someone who was injured at work and can’t work, someone with uncontrolled diabetes who sometimes can work but sometimes not—none of those people would meet that definition, and so any of them could lose their health coverage as a result of this policy,” Katch said.

CMS’s restriction on states using Medicaid funds to remove challenges to work, such as child care or transportation, has also sparked criticism from opponents. “The bottom line here: This policy is not about helping people work; it’s just about taking health coverage from people who are unemployed,” Katch said.

Some people could also become ineligible for Medicaid in certain states by working at minimum wage, the Kaiser brief notes—and they could potentially be left without an employer-sponsored alternative.

But the change to states’ Medicaid programs does not carry the permanence that a change in statute would. This is because states are using a waiver process that allows them to get the requirements approved by the Health and Human Services Department as a so-called demonstration project.

“I think we’ll see a variety of different approaches, and the beauty is that this period will now give us some experience and that hopefully will inform longer-term policy changes,” said Nina Owcharenko Schaefer, who recently served as senior counselor to the HHS secretary and is now at the Heritage Foundation.

This mechanism, however, may also prove to be the weak spot in the federal government’s strategy, as legal questions have already started to arise in the days following the guidance’s release.

Expect litigation in the wake of the Kentucky waiver, the National Health Law Program warns, with opponents arguing it does not promote the objectives of Medicaid.

“While we are still reviewing the details of this approval … the action appears designed to achieve significant cuts in Medicaid enrollment rather than Medicaid’s stated purpose of furnishing medical assistance to low-income people,” NHeLP Legal Director Jane Perkins said in a statement.

Bevin, however, on Tuesday signed an executive order saying that Kentucky will end its Medicaid expansion if any part of the waiver is stalled in the courts.

“[A]ny delay in the implementation of the Waiver due to judicial action will cause fiscal harm to the Commonwealth and will prevent Medicaid beneficiaries from realizing the benefits under the Waiver,” the order stated.

What We're Following See More »
TO DEMAND VENEZUELAN PRESIDENT MADURO STEP DOWN
Pence Traveling to Colombia
4 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

"Vice President Mike Pence will go to Colombia on Monday to speak with the Colombian president and regional leaders about the ongoing turmoil in Venezuela and rally the international community behind opposition leader Juan Guaidó." Pence "will deliver remarks to the 14 nations that are part of the 'Lima Group' in Bogota," and will meet with Colombian President Ivan Duque.

Source:
LIKELY TO FACE COMPETITION IN REPUBLICAN PRIMARY
Rep. Bradley Byrne Announces Bid Against Sen. Doug Jones
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"U.S. Rep. Bradley Byrne became the first official Republican entrant into the 2020 U.S. Senate race announcing his intention to run in a race that could become one of the most expensive political contests in Alabama history. Byrne, a three-term congressman from Fairhope, said he anticipates the fundraising during the lengthy 2020 campaign to eclipse the 2017 special Senate election, in which an estimated $50 million was spent during the contest. Democratic U.S. Senator Doug Jones, who narrowly defeated Republican Roy Moore in that election, raised more than $24 million."

Source:
TARGETS INCLUDED NANCY PELOSI
Coast Guard Lt. Planned Large-scale Terrorist Attack
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant and self-identified white nationalist was arrested after federal investigators uncovered a cache of weapons and ammunition in his Maryland home that authorities say he stockpiled to launch a widespread domestic terrorist attack targeting politicians and journalists...Though court documents do not detail a specific planned date for an attack, the government said he had been amassing supplies and weapons since at least 2017, developed a spreadsheet of targets that included House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and searched the Internet using phrases such as “best place in dc to see congress people” and “are supreme court justices protected.”

Source:
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
5 days ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
REDIRECTS $8 BILLION
Trump Declares National Emergency
6 days ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump on Friday declared a state of emergency on the southern border and immediately direct $8 billion to construct or repair as many as 234 miles of a border barrier. The move — which is sure to invite vigorous legal challenges from activists and government officials — comes after Trump failed to get the $5.7 billion he was seeking from lawmakers. Instead, Trump agreed to sign a deal that included just $1.375 for border security."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login