WASHINGTON 08 (R -- OPEN) | WA-gov | WA-sen | WA-8

Reichert to Retire

His exit from a moderate district gives Democrats one of their best pickup opportunities of the cycle.

Sept. 7, 2017, 9:52 a.m.

Rep. Dave Reichert (R) announced Wednesday he will not seek an eighth term in 2018, leaving open a competitive seat that backed Hillary Clinton by 3 points last year. “Reichert, who recently turned 67, said … he’d made the decision after spending time with family and friends” over the August recess.

“Although he hinted in a news release of pursuing ‘new opportunities’ in public service, Reichert said he is not in talks for any Trump administration job and has no intention of running for U.S. Senate in 2018 or governor in 2020.” In an interview, he admitted it could be “hard” for a GOP candidate to hold his district, which spans east from Seattle and Tacoma and covers King County.

State Sen. Dino Rossi (R), who twice ran for governor and once for Senate, topped the list of possible candidates. In a Facebook post, he wrote, “I won’t take long to make a decision, but I do need to talk with my family and make sure it makes sense to leave my business to run for office.”

Metropolitan King County Councilmember Reagan Dunn (R) didn’t rule out a run for the district, which his mother represented from 1993 to 2005. State Rep. Drew Stokesbary (R) and state Rep. J.T. Wilcox (R) left the door open to running, but state Sen. Joe Fain (R) said he would not. (Seattle Times)

Other possible candidate: gubernatorial nominee Bill Bryant (R) (KING5) A GOP operative also suggested state Reps. Paul Graves (R) and Cary Condotta (R) could run. (The Hill)

His exit makes the district a top battleground in 2018. It has an even partisan voting index from the Cook Political Report, which moved the district into the “Toss Up” category shortly after Reichert’s announcement. Several Democrats have already launched bids, including former King County Deputy Pro­sec­utor Jason Rittereiser (D), pediatrician Kim Schrier (D) and Amazon software developer Toby Whitney (D), businesswoman Mona Das (D) and Is­saquah City Coun­cil­mem­ber Tola Marts (D).

What We're Following See More »
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
1 weeks ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
REDIRECTS $8 BILLION
Trump Declares National Emergency
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump on Friday declared a state of emergency on the southern border and immediately direct $8 billion to construct or repair as many as 234 miles of a border barrier. The move — which is sure to invite vigorous legal challenges from activists and government officials — comes after Trump failed to get the $5.7 billion he was seeking from lawmakers. Instead, Trump agreed to sign a deal that included just $1.375 for border security."

Source:
COULD SOW DIVISION AMONG REPUBLICANS
House Will Condemn Emergency Declaration
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"House Democrats are gearing up to pass a joint resolution disapproving of President Trump’s emergency declaration to build his U.S.-Mexico border wall, a move that will force Senate Republicans to vote on a contentious issue that divides their party. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said Thursday evening in an interview with The Washington Post that the House would take up the resolution in the coming days or weeks. The measure is expected to easily clear the Democratic-led House, and because it would be privileged, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) would be forced to put the resolution to a vote that he could lose."

Source:
MILITARY CONSTRUCTION, DRUG FORFEITURE FUND
Where Will the Emergency Money Come From?
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"ABC News has learned the president plans to announce on Friday his intention to spend about $8 billion on the border wall with a mix of spending from Congressional appropriations approved Thursday night, executive action and an emergency declaration. A senior White House official familiar with the plan told ABC News that $1.375 billion would come from the spending bill Congress passed Thursday; $600 million would come from the Treasury Department's drug forfeiture fund; $2.5 billion would come from the Pentagon's drug interdiction program; and through an emergency declaration: $3.5 billion from the Pentagon's military construction budget."

Source:
TRUMP SAYS HE WILL SIGN
House Passes Funding Deal
1 weeks ago
THE DETAILS

"The House passed a massive border and budget bill that would avert a shutdown and keep the government funded through the end of September. The Senate passed the measure earlier Thursday. The bill provides $1.375 billion for fences, far short of the $5.7 billion President Trump had demanded to fund steel walls. But the president says he will sign the legislation, and instead seek to fund his border wall by declaring a national emergency."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login