VIRGINIA | VA-gov

Gillespie Starts to Embrace Trump

The nominees will debate again on Sept. 19.

Zach C. Cohen and Danielle Bernstein
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Zach C. Cohen and Danielle Bernstein
July 21, 2017, 10:57 a.m.

Former RNC Chair Ed Gillespie (R) on Thursday said he would “absolutely” accept an invitation from President Trump to campaign for him, citing the need to have “a president who understands the needs of Virginia.”

Gillespie: “I’d like to take the president, the vice president, cabinet secretaries, other governors to our ports … to coal country. … I’ll take all the help I can get from anybody I can get it. This is going to be a very tough race, a very close race.” (John Fredericks Show)

Though Gillespie appears to be courting the voters who almost lost him the GOP primary, he “has not begun embracing Trump with complete abandon.” (Washington Post)

DEBATE TO COME. Gillespie and Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam (D) will have their first debate “Saturday at the Virginia Bar Association Conference” with a focus on Gillespie’s relationship with Trump — “a conversation Gillespie wants to have as much as Northam. … The Gillespie campaign, meanwhile, has continued their attacks on ‘No-Show Northam.’ … Also expect: Northam will push Gillespie to take a firmer position on GOP proposals to repeal Obamacare.” (Politico)

“The Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce announced Thursday that” Gillespie and Northam “will participate in a debate Tuesday, Sept. 19, at Capital One headquarters in Tysons. NBC journalist Chuck Todd, who hosts ‘Meet the Press,’ will serve as moderator.” (AP)

DOG BITES MAN. Former state Democratic Party spokeswoman Christina Freundlich has joined Northam’s campaign as a deputy communications director. Kevin Donohoe, who previously worked at the pro-Hillary Clinton super PAC Correct the Record, recently replaced her at the state party. (Hotline reporting) Northam’s campaign also released an online ad called “Nonpartisan,” which goes after “Gillespie’s latest refusal to commit to nonpartisan redistricting reform.” The video shows Gillespie, a former chair of the Republican State Leadership Committee, saying, “Our goal is to make sure there are as many Republicans drawing the lines wherever possible.” (release)

Gillespie announced a “Veterans for Ed” coalition this week, which includes 750 members so far. (release)

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
2 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
2 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
2 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
3 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login