NEW MEXICO | NM-gov

Sanchez, Dunn Endorse Pearce

An oilman will chair the Republican’s campaign.

Zach C. Cohen
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Zach C. Cohen
July 12, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

Lt. Gov. John Sanc­hez (R) an­nounced Tues­day he will not run for gov­ernor and en­dorsed Rep. Steve Pearce (R) rather than run­ning for gov­ernor.

Sanc­hez: “While I con­tin­ue to work to­ward a de­cision for my fu­ture, I can say that I will not be a can­did­ate for gov­ernor in 2018. Steve has been a good friend and ally over the years. I wish him the best of luck in his cam­paign.” (Face­book)

State Land Com­mis­sion­er Au­brey Dunn (R) also took him­self out of the run­ning and backed Pearce. (Santa Fe New Mex­ic­an)

Al­buquerque May­or Richard Berry (R) “is con­tinu­ously men­tioned as a pos­sible can­did­ate but his men­tion is pro forma at this point.”

A po­ten­tial wild­card that could have an im­pact on the race is former Gov­ernor Gary John­son who is rumored to be weigh­ing a bid, though if he ran it is un­likely he would run as a Re­pub­lic­an.” (NM­Pol­itico)

Roswell oil­man Mark Murphy will serve as chair­man of Pearce’s cam­paign.

Pearce’s “roll out was sol­id, as it should be from someone who has run so many con­tests, in­clud­ing statewide. The news popped on the GOP friendly ABQ Journ­al at about three in the morn­ing. It was also leaked early enough for it to make the print edi­tions that the older voters still read. Pearce ap­peared early morn­ing on con­ser­vat­ive ra­dio talk­er KKOB-AM, an­oth­er place the GOP base is tuned in­to. The an­nounce­ment got sol­id no­tice on so­cial me­dia, but ex­cite­ment about it was not much in evid­ence, sig­nal­ing the dif­fi­culty the can­did­acy faces. TV cov­er­age in­cluded sound bites from Pearce.”

Long time polit­ic­al con­sult­ant Steve Ca­biedes: “Pearce knows this is go­ing to be rough sled­ding in a Demo­crat­ic state but he is tak­ing one for the team. If he didn’t run the R’s would be in a des­per­ate po­s­i­tion. They have no bench to speak of. The Pearce can­did­acy will at least get out the base GOP vote and help pro­tect Re­pub­lic­an state House seats. Also, he could win. It would be like a light­ning strike but such things do oc­cur, if rarely.” (Joe Mo­n­ahan)

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
3 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
3 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login