Russia expects to begin fielding within two years its next-generation interceptors capable of defending against ground-based ballistic missiles, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Friday.
The S-500 is the latest iteration in Russia’s family of missile-defense systems. The technology is intended to be capable of destroying hostile aircraft, medium-range ballistic missiles and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
“This is our response to the U.S. antimissile defense,” Russian air-space defense forces deputy commander Kirill Makarov told the state-run Russia 24 network.
Makarov said 10 of the S-500 units would be deployed by late 2015.
Moscow objects to the growing NATO ballistic missile shield in Europe and is concerned that U.S. missile interceptors planned for fielding around the continent in the coming years could secretly target its own long-range nuclear weapons. Russia has warned that if its concerns continue to go unresolved, it will take military countermeasures to neutralize the perceived threat. NATO and Washington insist the missile defense framework is solely aimed at defending against possible missile strikes launched from the Middle East.
Meanwhile, President Vladimir Putin announced last week that three additional S-400 regiments will enter into service in 2014, RIA Novosti reported.
The S-400 Triumf is the older cousin of the S-500. It is designed to intercept aerial threats from altitudes as high as 18.6 miles and at ranges as far as 250 miles. S-400 units are already deployed near Moscow, the Kaliningrad exclave and in the Primorye region.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.