About 375,000 people visited HealthCare.gov between midnight and noon Monday, according to administration officials. The number is twice as many users as the site typically has seen on any given Monday.
However, the increased traffic may be causing some problems on the overall improved site.
The surge of visitors is due to widely publicized repairs to the website. The administration had set the end of November as the deadline to have the online federal exchange working smoothly “for the vast majority of users.” Officials said Sunday that the goal had been achieved, touting dramatically lower wait times, and higher success rates on the site.
According to officials, the new-and-improved HealthCare.gov is now able to handle 50,000 concurrent users, and 800,000 total users per day.
At times of high traffic, a message read: “HealthCare.gov has a lot of visitors right now! We need you to wait here, so we can make sure there’s room for you to have a good experience on our site.”
As a result, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which runs the site, decided about 10 a.m. on Monday to deploy a new queuing system that allows consumers to enter their email address and be notified when there is an opening. Upon return, those consumers would be moved to the front of the queue.
That decision was made when traffic to the site hit the mid-30,000s of concurrent users, according the Julie Bataille, communications director for CMS.
The fact that the queue was set up at that level of traffic led some on Monday’s CMS press call to wonder whether the website did not actually have the capacity to handle 50,000 users, as asserted. But Bataille said the decision was made to decrease wait times and errors, and was not an indication of capacity limitation.
“It’s something that will fluctuate in real time,” she said, emphasizing that the establishment of the queue was intended to maximize user experience.
According to Bataille, peak traffic tends to be between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on weekdays, indicating that the site is on track to surpass 800,000 users by the end of the day Monday.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.
Three million—a number that lays "bare the significant gap between Donald Trump’s bare-bones operation and the field program that Clinton and her hundreds of aides have been building for some 17 months."