Senior White House Enviro Aide Heads for the Exits

National Journal
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Ben Geman
Dec. 9, 2013, 9:48 a.m.

White House Council on Environmental Quality Deputy Director Gary Guzy is leaving the Obama administration, an announcement that comes days after CEQ Chairwoman Nancy Sutley said she’s stepping down in February.

In fact Sutley’s deputy, a longtime White House aide, will reach the exit before her.

Guzy, who is also CEQ’s general counsel, will join the Washington office of the prominent law and lobbying firm Covington & Burling in January.

Guzy, who has been with CEQ since September 2009, will join the firm’s environmental, clean-energy, public-policy, and government-affairs practices. His departure continues the turnover of President Obama’s top energy and environment aides.

Guzy is credited with playing a major role in Obama administration rules that require automakers to substantially boost efficiency standards, reaching a fleet-wide average of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025 for cars and light trucks.

“Gary won the trust and respect of auto companies and environmentalists alike — no mean feat — in the negotiations that produced the biggest single step any nation has taken to reduce global-warming pollution and oil use,” said Dan Becker, director of the Safe Climate Campaign.

Guzy had been mentioned in some press accounts as a potential replacement for Sutley atop CEQ.

He served as EPA’s general counsel and in other EPA jobs in the Clinton administration, and he was also a senior attorney with the Justice Department’s environment division. After the Clinton years, Guzy held private-sector roles, including global-practice leader for climate risk and sustainability at Marsh, an insurance brokerage and risk-advisory company.

“Gary brings exceptional skill in dealing with complex environmental issues and a wealth of experience in developing strategic partnerships and working with the diverse constituencies necessary to resolve the most challenging public controversies,” Lawrence Hobel, cochairman of Covington’s environmental practice, said in a statement.

He’ll leave CEQ at the end of December and start the new job Jan. 21.

What We're Following See More »
TRUMP CANCELS FLORIDA TRIP
Congress Heads Back to Work to End Shutdown
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The Senate was expected to be back in session at noon, while House lawmakers were told to return to work for a 9 a.m. session. Mr. Trump on Friday had canceled plans to travel to his private resort on Palm Beach, Fla., where a celebration had been planned for Saturday to celebrate the anniversary of his first year in office."

Source:
CLOTURE FAILS
Government Shutdown Begins, as Senate Balks at Stopgap
23 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A stopgap spending bill stalled in the Senate Friday night, leading to a government shutdown for the first time since 2013. The continuing resolution funding agencies expired at midnight, and lawmakers were unable to spell out any path forward to keep government open. The Senate on Friday night failed to reach cloture on a four-week spending bill the House had already approved."

Source:
HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS IN SUSPICIOUS CHECKS FLAGGED
Mueller’s Team Scrutinizing Russian Embassy Transactions
2 days ago
THE LATEST
PRO-TRUMP SPENDING COULD VIOLATE FECA
FBI Investigating Potential Russian Donations to NRA
2 days ago
THE DETAILS

"The FBI is investigating whether a top Russian banker with ties to the Kremlin illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to help Donald Trump win the presidency." Investigators have focused on Alexander Torshin, the deputy governor of Russia’s central bank "who is known for his close relationships with both Russian President Vladimir Putin and the NRA." The solicitation or use of foreign funds is illegal in U.S. elections under the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) by either lobbying groups or political campaigns. The NRA reported spending a record $55 million on the 2016 elections.

Source:
DISCLOSURES MORE THAN DOUBLED
Mueller Investigation Leads to Hundreds of New FARA Filings
2 days ago
THE LATEST

"Hundreds of new and supplemental FARA filings by U.S. lobbyists and public relations firms" have been submitted "since Special Counsel Mueller charged two Trump aides with failing to disclose their lobbying work on behalf of foreign countries. The number of first-time filings ... rose 50 percent to 102 between 2016 and 2017, an NBC News analysis found. The number of supplemental filings, which include details about campaign donations, meetings and phone calls more than doubled from 618 to 1,244 last year as lobbyists scrambled to avoid the same fate as some of Trump's associates and their business partners."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login