Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz said the near-ban on U.S. crude oil exports is ripe for revisiting, comments that arrive as major producers including Exxon Mobil are pressing to relax limits imposed in the 1970s.
His remarks Thursday in New York, reported by Platts, were quite cautious. And Moniz noted that it’s not his department’s decision to make.
But the statements are nonetheless likely to fuel increasing industry calls for ending major restrictions created in the wake of the early-1970s Arab oil embargo.
“Those restrictions on exports were born, as was the Department of Energy and the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, on oil disruptions,” Moniz said at a forum hosted by Platts.
“There are lots of issues in the energy space that deserve some new analysis and examination in the context of what is now an energy world that is no longer like the 1970s,” Moniz said.
U.S. oil production is at its highest point in 25 years and the nation’s reliance on imports is falling. That has prompted export advocates to argue that it’s time to rethink U.S. laws and policies that only allow crude oil exports in very limited cases.
The U.S. currently exports a small amount of crude oil to Canada.
“We are not dealing with an era of scarcity, we are dealing with a situation of abundance,” Ken Cohen, Exxon’s vice president of public and government affairs, told The Wall Street Journal this week. “We need to rethink the regulatory scheme and the statutory scheme on the books.”
Moniz said that his department stands ready to provide technical analysis to the Commerce Department, which has jurisdiction over crude oil exports.
The oil industry is weighing an effort to challenge the ban by arguing that it violates international trade law.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.