The Defense Department’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office will have new leadership starting next month, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced on Monday.
Major General Jeffrey J. Snow will take over the office in January, taking over for Major General Gary S. Patton, who is planning to retire in the spring.
Hagel praised the outgoing Patton, saying he “has a history of tackling tough assignments,” and Patton said he was “heartened by signs of progress in combatting sexual assault” during his tenure.
The Pentagon has faced increased scrutiny during the past year for its handling of sexual assault cases, and others were less giving in their evaluation of Patton’s work.
Danielle Brian, the executive director of the Project On Government Oversight, called the announcement the “first step in restoring credibility to the Pentagon’s promise of reducing sexual assaults in the military.”
The outside group previously called for Patton’s resignation over an inspector general’s report that alleged that while serving as the deputy commander of the NATO training mission in Afghanistan, Patton violated the Military Whistleblowers Protection Act, which bans personnel action against a member of the Armed Forces for speaking with an Inspector General, Defense Department audit, or member of Congress about a potentially illegal act.
Col. Steve Warren, a Defense Department spokesman, told Stars and Stripes that Patton’s decision to retire is unrelated to the report.
Snow is currently the Army’s director of Strategy, Plans, and Policy.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.