The only domestic U.S. uranium-enrichment company on Monday said it plans to seek bankruptcy within months, the New York Times reports.
The company, USEC, still plans by 2017 to wrap up development of a new-generation enrichment centrifuge. However, its latest financial move could complicate efforts to secure federal funding for the American Centrifuge Plant in Piketon, Ohio, beyond $257 million in Energy Department grants awarded since 2011, according to the newspaper.
Control of the centrifuge project might go to the Energy Department as a result of the bankruptcy. It is unclear, though, if Washington would push the enrichment initiative forward to completion, the Times reported. The effort is already 12 years behind schedule, and its projected $6.5 billion expense is nearly four times greater than its original $1.7 billion cost estimate.
Still, the United States might continue advancing the effort to help ensure a secure supply of tritium, a hydrogen isotope critical for boosting the explosive power of U.S. nuclear weapons. The material decays at a regular rate, meaning that more must be continually harvested from fuel rods in Tennessee Valley Authority power reactors if warheads are to be maintained.
The Obama administration and some U.S. lawmakers have said that under international agreements, the United States can use only uranium refined with its own technology as a source of tritium. Several analysts have contested that view, though, arguing that the United States could extract tritium from uranium enriched within its borders using European-origin equipment.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”
"Donald Trump's campaign and the Republican party will coordinate more closely going forward, with the GOP's top communicator and chief strategist Sean Spicer increasingly working out of Trump campaign headquarters, the campaign confirmed Sunday."
In a statement released Friday morning, the Trump campaign announced that Paul Manafort has resigned as campaign chairman. The move comes after fresh questions had been raised about Manafort's work in Russia and Ukraine, and Trump brought in Stephen Bannon "as a de facto demotion for Manafort."