You can have the moon, China. Leave the asteroid re-routing to us.
NASA’s asteroid hunter is back in action, and it’s looking for a rock where we can land humans next decade. The agency calls its plan — on pace for 2025 — “the first mission to identify, capture, and relocate an asteroid.”
In less than two years of operation, NEOWISE (Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer) discovered more than 34,000 asteroids as part of its initial mission. Now, after two-plus years of hibernation, the ship is on the job again.
“Over the next weeks and months we will be gearing up our ground-based data processing and expect to get back into the asteroid-hunting business, and acquire our first previously undiscovered space rock, in the next few months,” said the agency’s Amy Mainzer.
NASA released images taken by the craft this week, calling them just as good as the ones taken during its 2010-11 run. The ship uses a 16-inch telescope and infrared cameras to find asteroids that come within 28 million miles of Earth. During its earlier mission (when it was known as WISE), it tracked the entire sky. Now, it’s focused on close-by objects to “protect our home planet.”
Right now, the plan is to use a capture bag — which looks like a giant parachute — to engulf an asteroid and allow astronauts to study it. NASA plans to pull the rock into a stable orbit after nabbing it.
Back on the ground, NASA engineers are testing suits for astronauts to use to explore the captured asteroid. The suits are being tweaked to work with the Orion spacecraft and improve mobility for spacewalks. One prototype is a modified version of NASA’s “pumpkin suit.”
If NEOWISE sends back pictures anything like the ones it caught in its first run, it will be worth keeping an eye on. Here’s a dying star surrounded by tracks of asteroids.
The project isn’t without controversy. Earlier this year, House Republicans on the Science Committee tried to scrap the mission as part of a plan to cut NASA spending and return the focus to moon missions. The Senate, however, passed a NASA spending bill with higher levels and no direction to end the asteroid program. Congress has yet to resolve its final plan for the agency.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."