No preparations for another underground nuclear explosion are apparent at North Korea’s testing grounds, according to a new image analysis by 38 North.
“Recent commercial satellite imagery indicates that Pyongyang has no plans to conduct a nuclear test over the next few months,” writes Jack Liu, an analyst with the website that specializes in North Korean military affairs.
Comparatively, when Pyongyang conducted its third underground atomic detonation in February, dedicated provisions for the event had been under way since early December 2012.
Some in South Korea have speculated that the Kim Jong Un regime might decide to carry out a fourth nuclear explosion as a way to distract domestic audiences from the recent purges and executions that have shaken the foundations of the North Korean ruling elite.
The latest analysis by 38 North concluded that while digging work on a likely new test tunnel at Punggye-ri has restarted, “completion of that tunnel may take some time.”
However, North Korea already has two finished tunnels that could be used to house nuclear tests when a political decision is made to do so, according to the report.
Meanwhile, it appears that the recent execution of Jang Song Thaek — Kim Jong Un’s onetime mentor and uncle — stemmed from his attempt to assume control over the nation’s mining industry, Agence France-Presse reported on Monday.
“Jang intervened too much in lucrative state businesses …. related to coal, which drew mounting complaints from other [related] state bodies,” said South Korean lawmaker Jung Chung-rae, who is a member of parliament’s intelligence committee. Jung was relating remarks given by National Intelligence Service chief Nam Jae-joon at a private briefing.
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
President Trump today said he'll be releasing his tax reformpacakge next week around the 100-day mark of his presidency. He promised that "businesses and individuals will receive a 'massive tax cut ... bigger I believe than any tax cut ever."
Despite President Trump's announcement that his tax reform proposal would be released this week, Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney now says it will be ready in June. This week's announcement will be limited to "specific governing principles."
Donald Trump is expected Monday to sign an executive order which will mark his administration's first action on offshore oil and gas drilling. The order is expected to call for a "review of the locations available for offshore oil and gas exploration and of certain regulations governing offshore oil and gas exploration."
Vice President Mike Pence has cut his Asia trip short "to race back to Washington, where the Trump administration faces a critical week on tax reform and a funding plan to keep the government running, an aide said on Sunday." Pence will return to Washington on Tuesday morning instead of Wednesday. Trump has a busy week ahead, as he plans to roll out a tax reform on framework, sign a number of executive orders, and works to keep the government open past Friday.