A Navy fraud investigation is becoming one the largest scandals for the armed service in recent years, and the investigation is spilling over into 2014.
Leonard Glenn Francis, the CEO for Singapore-based Glenn Defense Marine Asia, was arrested in September for allegedly bribing officials with cash, trips, and other items in exchange for ship information.
So far, six Navy officials have been tied to the incident with two arrested.
“I certainly don’t think we’ve seen the end of it,” Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said earlier this month, discussing the case publicly for the first time during a press conference. “I think it’s fair to say that there will be more disclosures coming in.”
The secretary declined to say if he believes those disclosures will result in the arrest of more Navy officials.
The investigation — and resulting media focus — has put how the Navy handles its contracting unwillingly under the spotlight, but Mabus said he would “rather get bad headlines than let bad people get away.”
John Bertrand Beliveau Jr., a supervisory special agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, also plead guilty earlier this month to participating in the alleged fraud.
And the Justice Department noted in a press release that the investigation is still ongoing to determine the full scope of the alleged attempt to defraud the Navy. Mabus couldn’t comment on the amount of money that has been defrauded. But in court documents, U.S. attorneys characterize it as a “multi-national, multi-year, multi-million dollar fraud on the United States Navy.”
Mabus touted the Navy’s hand in launching the investigation. Though that started in 2010, GDMA continued to hold naval contracts well into this year. Mabus explained that suspending a contract with GDMA before they were ready to move forward with charges would have signaled that something was wrong and “GDMA would have gotten the contract back.”
“Without the Navy and Navy’s actions, there would almost certainly be no story today,” Mabus said.
While the investigation continues, the allegations of fraud already have the Navy rethinking how it handles some of its contracts. Those actions include increasing the number of items it can set a certain price for while at foreign ports, centralizing and standardizing how top commanders deal with supplies overseas, and putting together a “red team of experts” who are to review and possibly recommend changes to how the Navy handles contracting. An audit of husbanding and port services contracts is expected in June.
Mabus said since 2009 the Navy has suspended more than 250 contractors and blocked approximately 400 more from holding naval contracts. Elliott Branch, the deputy assistant secretary of the Navy for Acquisition and Procurement, said that represents a fraction of the tens of thousands of contractors the Navy deals with.
What We're Following See More »
"Even as he acknowledged the importance of an open internet, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai on Wednesday set his telecom agency on a course to scrap the tough, broad net neutrality protections imposed by the Obama administration. During a major speech in Washington, D.C., Pai outlined the need for a total revision of existing federal rules that seek to prevent companies like AT&T, Charter, Comcast and Verizon from blocking or slowing down web content, including the movie or music offerings from their competitors." Separately, Pai told Reason's Nick Gillespie that the Clinton Administration "basically got it right when it came to digital infrastructure. We were not living in a digital dystopia in the years leading up to 2015."
The White House on Wednesday laid out its plan for tax reform, with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin saying it would be "the biggest tax cut and the largest tax reform in the history of our country." The tax code would be broken down into just three tax brackets, with the highest personal income tax rate cut from 39.6 percent to 35 percent. The plan would also slash the tax rate on corporations and small businesses from 35 percent to 15 percent. "The White House plan is a set of principles with few details, but it’s designed to be the starting point of a major push to urge Congress to pass a comprehensive tax reform package this year," said National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement today established the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE), as called for in a presidential executive order from January. The new office's website states that its staff "will be guided by a singular, straightforward mission—to ensure victims and their families have access to releasable information about a perpetrator and to offer assistance explaining the immigration removal process."