A growing circle of lawmakers is putting pressure on the Obama administration to boost the safety of railway shipments of crude oil following a string of accidents.
The chairmen of two Senate committees wrote to Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz on Thursday about “alarming” accidents that demand “increased vigilance.”
“We urge you to work together to quickly resolve issues with the transportation of crude oil in order to protect our communities, and prevent any further disasters,” states the letter from Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Chairman Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Senate Commerce Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va.
The letter cites the latest accident — a derailment and fire this week in New Brunswick, Canada — as well as last week’s inferno in North Dakota, and the derailment and explosions that claimed 47 lives in Quebec in July.
Elsewhere, North Dakota’s senators met Thursday with Foxx and Cynthia Quarterman, head of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
Lawmakers are pressing for steps including completion of a Transportation Department regulation that would set new requirements for rail-tanker safety.
“The Secretary informed the Senators that he is calling the rail CEOs and the head of the American Petroleum Institute to ask that they work with [Federal Railroad Administration] and PHMSA to identify what they’re doing to promote safety when transporting crude oil, especially in the Bakken region, and to see what they can do to work alongside the Department to maintain our safety record even as crude oil production in the Bakken region has increased,” the department said in a summary of the meeting.
Foxx is setting up a meeting with industry officials, and he plans to announce other steps in coming weeks, according to the department meeting summary that also noted ongoing work on the rail-tanker regulation.
Use of railways to move crude oil is increasing alongside the U.S. drilling boom.
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”