Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., sidestepped questions Tuesday about when he will allow legislation to increase sanctions against Iran to come up for a vote.
A proposal introduced by Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., has gained bipartisan support, with approximately 58 cosponsors. The proposal would increase sanctions against Iran if it walks away from the interim agreement — or potentially a long-term deal — on its nuclear program.
“While this process is playing out, that is the negotiations going on in Switzerland”¦.While they’re going on, and while the legislation is working forward here, I’m going to sit and be as fair an umpire as I can be,” Reid said told reporters.
Reid has walked a fine line on the Iran sanctions, stuck between members of his party who support the proposal and the Obama administration, which has led an intense lobbying effort to keep senators from moving forward. He suggested in November that the Senate could move forward on legislation, but has since hedged on those comments.
Officials, including President Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry, have warned that new sanctions would jeopardize any progress made — a claim backed by Iranian officials.
“I think at this stage I think we’re where we should be. There’s 10 senators, who are chairmen of committees here, who’ve said they don’t want anything done. We have now, I don’t know how many senators, but more than 55 are cosponsoring this,” the Nevada Democrat said, referring to Menendez’s legislation. “So this — we’re going to wait and see how this plays out.”
Meanwhile, Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., told BuzzFeed that she didn’t foresee a vote happening in the near future.
Implementation of an interim agreement on Iran’s nuclear program kicks off on Monday, with formal talks on a long-term deal expected to start next month.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."