Lobbyist and former House Speaker Dennis Hastert defended the all-expenses-paid trip for eight lawmakers to Turkey last year that he attended and his firm helped arrange.
“What we did was exclusively within the rules — meticulously,” Hastert said on Thursday.
Most lobbyist travel abroad with lawmakers was banned more than six years ago in reforms passed in the wake of the Jack Abramoff scandal. But the trip to Turkey, which National Journal first revealed last week, was planned by the firms of Hastert and Dick Gephardt, another former House leader and current lobbyist, on behalf of Turkey. A loophole in the law allows lobbyists to plan and attend trips overseas if they are paid for by foreign countries, even as similar corporate-funded excursions are banned.
Hastert said his and Gephardt’s involvement in the Turkey trip “allowed those members of Congress who were there to have a fuller experience.”
“I think we added to the equation,” Hastert said. “Both Mr. Gephardt and I were able to open some doors that all lawmakers wouldn’t necessarily have been able to do on their own,” citing meetings with the Turkish prime minister, the president, and other cabinet ministers.
Hastert and Gephardt, whose firms split most of a $1.4 million annual lobbying contract from Turkey, had both declined to answer questions for the initial story. Hastert spoke with National Journal following an event about the 2014 elections on Thursday.
Hastert deflected a question about whether the face time abroad would benefit his lobbying practice. “We didn’t spend a lot of time with the members,” he said, adding, “Our role was to best serve the members of Congress and give them the best experience they possibly could and that’s what we did.”
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.