International authorities may fall short of their aim to destroy Syria’s most hazardous warfare chemicals before April, Reuters reports.
Transporting the top-priority substances to the Syrian coast from locations across the war-divided country has proven “quite challenging,” said Ahmet Üzümcü, director general of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
His agency wants Syrian President Bashar Assad’s full chemical arsenal destroyed by the middle of this year. Disarmament personnel have focused first on removing Assad’s mustard blister agent and ingredients for sarin and VX nerve agents. These are to be destroyed on a specially equipped U.S. ship.
When questioned directly on whether the agency would meet the goal of eliminating the “priority” substances by March 31, Üzümcü noted that crews were unable to remove the materials by the end of December, as initially planned.
“From my point of view what is important is really the end [deadline] of June 2014, so we will do our best to meet it,” he said.
In comments issued afterward, the chemical-disarmament watchdog agency said Üzümcü “remains confident the deadline of 30 June 2014 for destroying Syria’s entire arsenal of chemical weapons can be met.”
Elaborating on the operation’s difficulty, Üzümcü said “the biggest area of concern is clearly the safe transportation of those weapons, chemical substances, from the sites in Syria to the port of Latakia.”
One Western envoy said a Danish transport vessel has so far taken custody of just one-twentieth of the sensitive materials. The priority chemicals eventually are slated to transfer onto a U.S. chemical-destruction vessel at Gioia Tauro, Italy.
Üzümcü said “some additional measures are being taken right now to reduce risks,” and noted he had met with Syrian officials on Wednesday to discuss protection of the warfare chemicals.
“We hope that we can move relatively quickly in the coming weeks,” he said.
Meanwhile, the United Kingdom on Thursday announced it would hire a French firm to burn a separate cache of less dangerous Syrian chemical-arms ingredients at a facility near Liverpool, Reuters reported.
What We're Following See More »
The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.
"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.
Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.
Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.