Lobbying associations representing the retail and banking industries are pointing fingers over who’s to blame over the breach last month that exposed the credit card numbers of as many as 110 million Target customers.
The National Retail Federation, which represents Target, sent a letter on Tuesday to members of Congress, claiming that banks have failed to upgrade to the most secure technology for processing transactions in the U.S.
“For years, banks have continued to issue fraud-prone magnetic stripe cards to U.S. customers, putting sensitive financial information at risk while simultaneously touting the security benefits of next generation ‘PIN and Chip’ card technology for customers in Europe and dozens of other markets,” Matthew Shaw, CEO of the National Retail Federation, wrote in the letter.
But the banking industry isn’t letting that accusation slide. The Independent Community Bankers of America fired back at the retail group with a statement on Wednesday.
“The NRF should focus its attention on responding to the harm that security breaches at several retailers have done to consumers and their financial institutions rather than hurling false allegations blaming the banking industry for these retail breaches,” Camden Fine, the CEO of the Independent Community Bankers of America, said.
“Retailers and their processors — not banks — are responsible for the systems in their stores that process payment cards.”
Fine said he hopes the massive breaches at Target and Neiman Marcus will spur retailers to adopt better security procedures.
The Target breach was likely the work of a sophisticated ring of hackers, possibly based in Russia, according to a report released last week by the cybersecurity firm iSight, which worked with the Homeland Security Department. The hackers gained access to the credit card numbers by injecting a virus into Target’s card readers, the report found.
- 1 The Story of 2016: Republicans Feeling “Betrayed” by Their Leaders
- 2 After Trump, GOP Foreign Policy Faces an Uncertain Future
- 3 Senator Manchin: What My Daughter Did Should Be Illegal
- 4 Donald Trump’s Murky Polling Operation
- 5 Smart Ideas: Oil Pipelines vs. Oil Trains, and the Next Generation of Biological Threats
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”