A former aide to Sen. Lamar Alexander who was facing child-pornography charges has been found dead in his family’s Maryland home of an apparent suicide, according to law enforcement.
Ryan Loskarn, 35, had previously served as chief of staff to the Tennessee Republican, but was relieved from his post in December after his arrest.
“For everyone involved, this is a sad and tragic story from beginning to end,” Alexander said in a statement.
Family members found Loskarn in the basement of his family’s home — where he was living — around noon on Thursday, according to the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office. “The preliminary investigation indicates that Loskarn may have taken his own life, and his body has since been transported to the state medical examiner’s office for autopsy,” the department said in a statement.
U.S. Postal Inspectors announced in December that Loskarn had been implicated in a child-pornography scandal and searched his home, where they said they found a hard drive containing “hundreds” of videos depicting young children in sexual situations.
Loskarn had been released to the custody of his parents in Sykesville, Md., last month as he awaited trial on charges of possessing and distributing child pornography. At the time, a Justice Department attorney argued against home detention, saying there was a risk Loskarn would hurt himself based “on demeanor and comments he made at the time of arrest,” Roll Call reported.
Loskarn was ordered to wear an ankle bracelet and not to access the Internet while awaiting trial.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."