Former White House climate czar Carol Browner defended the Obama administration on Friday amid criticism from environmentalists who say the president could be doing more to combat climate change.
“We all recognize that there’s a transition that has to take place on the energy that we’re using today to the energy we need to use over the long term,” Browner said during a call with reporters hosted by the Center for American Progress, a left-leaning think tank. “I think the real question is, is the president committed to this transition, and what we’re seeing is a real commitment to get the standards in place that will allow us to transition away from the fuels that lead to climate change.”
Browner was responding to comments from the heads of 18 major environmental advocacy organizations, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, the Sierra Club, and the League of Conservation Voters, in a letter to the president earlier this month. The letter argued that the president’s “all of the above” energy strategy, which promotes both fossil fuels and clean energy, conflicts with his efforts to rein in greenhouse-gas emissions.
“An ‘all of the above’ approach that places virtually no limits on whether, when, where or how fossil fuels are extracted, ignores the impacts of carbon-intense fuels and is wrong for America’s future,” the letter stated.
Browner, who served as Environmental Protection Agency administrator in the Clinton administration and was the director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy in the Obama White House until 2011, is not the administration’s only defender.
Last week, John Podesta, who was recently named special adviser to the president on energy and environment issues, shot back at the charges leveled against the administration by environmental advocates in a letter obtained by the Washington Post.
“The president has been leading the transition to low-carbon energy sources and understands the need to consider a balanced approach to all forms of energy development, including oil and gas production,” Podesta wrote.
What We're Following See More »
"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.
"President Donald Trump's second-quarter job approval rating has fallen below what any other past president has gotten during the same time frame. A new Gallup poll found that Trump averaged a 38.8% rating between April 20 and July 19. The average approval rating for that time is 62%. President Obama was at the average during this time period, as was President Nixon. President Clinton is the only president who was below 50% by the second quarter, coming in with a 44% approval rating." There is also a large partisan gap. "Just 8% of Democrats approved of Trump's job performance during the second quarter, but 85% of Republicans did. Approval ratings have become increasingly polarized in recent administrations, but the 77-point gap for Trump is a new record."
"The US government will soon prohibit American citizens from traveling to North Korea, according to two tour groups that cater to Western tourists who want to visit the secretive country. The US will announce the ban within a couple of days, said Simon Cockerell, general manager of Beijing-based Koryo Tours. The agency was informed of the development by officials of the Swedish government, which represents America's interests in North Korea, he told CNN."
"Federal arts and humanities programs targeted for elimination by the Trump administration would get a lifeline from House appropriators willing to ignore the president’s proposal and keep them running. The $31.5 billion fiscal 2018 Interior-Environment spending bill approved by the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday includes $145 million for the National Endowment for the Arts. While that’s still a 3.2 percent cut from the fiscal year 2017 enacted level, it is more than $116 million above Trump’s budget request. The National Endowment for the Humanities would receive $145 million in fiscal 2018, which is $103.7 million above the White House budget request."
"The White House’s Office of Management and Budget detailed Thursday how it would jettison hundreds of existing or planned regulations as part of its larger push to ease federal restrictions on the private sector, upending federal policies on labor, the environment and public health. ... The Trump administration said it was pulling or suspending 860 pending regulations."