A federal court in Tennessee has directed three peace advocates to pay a combined sum of $52,953 for infiltrating a U.S. nuclear-arms site in 2012.
However, the judge in the case on Tuesday postponed final sentencing as the Knoxville courthouse was closed early due to a snow storm, the Knoxville News Sentinel reports.
The three-week pause came after the initial sentencing for 83-year-old Catholic nun Megan Rice, along with fellow Transform Now Plowshares participants Greg Boertje-Obed, 56, and Michael Walli, 64.
The nearly $53,000 penalty would cover cleaning and repairs for direct physical harm that the trespassers inflicted on Tennessee’s Y-12 National Security Complex in July 2012, when the trio cut through a series of the site’s security fences, pelted a bomb-grade uranium storage facility with human blood and spray-painted antiwar messages.
The cost of the U.S. security response to the break-in stood at roughly $15 million as of early last year, and was expected to potentially rise further, according to previous reporting.
All three Transform Now Plowshares activists still face possible prison sentences for their May convictions of interfering with national security and damaging government property. Rice could be imprisoned until she is more than 90 years old if Judge Amul Thapar follows federal sentencing guidelines, and her two accomplices could face even longer prison terms.
Inclement weather forced early closure of the federal district court hosting the sentencing hearing, and trial participants determined they could not wrap up the proceedings before the Tennessee courtroom shut its doors in early afternoon.
Thapar ordered the defendants to return to jail until their sentencing resumes, the Washington Post reported. The hearing is scheduled to continue on Feb. 18, according to the News Sentinel.
What We're Following See More »
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said that "there was “precedent” for a Supreme Court with fewer than nine justices—appearing to suggest that the blockade on nominee Merrick Garland could last past the election." Speaking to reporters in Colorado, Cruz said: "I would note, just recently, that Justice Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That’s a debate that we are going to have.”
The Democratic National Committee sued the Republican National Committee in U.S. District Court in New Jersey for aiding GOP nominee Donald Trump as he argues that the presidential election is "rigged." The DNC claims "that Trump's argument is designed to suppress the vote in minority communities."
"Two chief fundraisers for the Clinton Foundation pressed corporate donors to steer business opportunities to former President Bill Clinton as well, according to a hacked memo published Wednesday by WikiLeaks. The November 2011 memo from Douglas Band, at the time a top aide to Mr. Clinton, outlines extensive fundraising efforts that Mr. Band and a partner deployed on behalf of the Clinton Foundation and how that work sometimes translated into large speaking fees and other paid work for Mr. Clinton."
House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz plans to spend "years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton." Chaffetz told the Washington Post: “It’s a target-rich environment. Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.”