North Korea appears to be readying one of its rocket sites for a vigorous testing program that could involve the country’s mysterious new strategic missile.
Recent satellite images suggest that a potential trial of the KN-08 missile’s rocket engine occurred at the Dongchang-ri missile site between late last month and early this month, the specialist website “38 North” said in a Wednesday analysis.
Surveillance photographs taken as recently as about a month ago show what could be the first stage of the KN-08 missile and a crane that potentially would have been used to lift the weapon’s engine onto the launch platform. Subsequent images taken on Jan. 9 show the “possible rocket stage, vehicles and crane are no longer present,” writes image analyst and report author Nick Hansen.
Hansen also points to the absence of snow in front of the flame trench on Jan. 9 that could have been melted either by the engine being fired up or by warmer weather. All of these signs amount to “limited evidence” that an engine test has occurred, he said.
The KN-08 has yet to be flight tested. While earlier versions of the suspected intercontinental ballistic missile displayed at parades appear to have been crude mockups, models seen in subsequent military displays look to have been better designed. This is a possible indication that North Korea is making progress in refining its road-mobile ballistic missile, according to independent experts.
U.S. National Intelligence Director James Clapper in a Wednesday briefing to the Senate said North Korea appears to have “already taken initial steps” to field the KN-08, despite the weapon being untested.
The signs picked up by 38 North — a project of the U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University — suggest that Pyongyang could be planning a testing program at Dongchang-ri for the KN-08 and separate space launch vehicles. Indications include:
— the construction of two 45,000-gallon containers that could be intended for holding fuel for mobile missiles;
— the placement of a permanent dish antenna that could be intended for tracking missile flight paths; and
— the building of what appears to be two flat pads of a form traditionally utilized for launching mobile missiles.
All of this building work, which has been ongoing since last summer, is “consistent” with intentions to use the missile site as a training and firing facility for Pyongyang’s “new generation of regional and intercontinental-range mobile missiles,” 38 North concluded.
What We're Following See More »
"A lawyer representing Chris Gard and Connie Yates told the High Court 'time had run out' for the baby. Mr. Gard said it meant his 'sweet, gorgeous, innocent little boy' will not reach his first birthday on 4 August. 'To let our beautiful little Charlie go' is 'the hardest thing we'll ever have to do,' his mother said. Charlie's parents said they made the decision because a US doctor had told them it was now too late to give Charlie nucleoside therapy.
"Eleven states have sued the Environmental Protection Agency over its June decision to delay implementation of a chemical safety rule" until 2019. "The state attorneys general, led by New York’s Eric Schneiderman (D), argue the rule is important for 'protecting our workers, first-responders and communities from chemical accidents' and should be allowed to take affect as planned by the Obama administration’s EPA.
"House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) on Monday said that funding for President Trump's controversial border wall is unlikely to cause a government shutdown. 'The odds of a government shutdown are very minimal when it comes to that,' the conservative lawmaker said at an event in Washington, D.C. 'I do think the funding of the border wall will happen,' he added. Appropriators have set aside $1.6 billion to fund new wall and fencing sections on parts of the U.S.-Mexico border covering a few dozen miles."