Officials: Syrian Government Blocking Progress in Peace Talks

The statement comes as Syria is under growing criticism for missing deadlines to hand over its chemical weapons.

Women shout slogans during a demonstration gathering activists, including Syrians living in Turkey, opposed to Syria's regime of President Bashar al-Assad after the Friday prayers on July 29, 2011 in front of the Syrian consulate in Istanbul. Assad's forces have killed at least 1,486 civilians since the anti-regime uprising began in mid-March, according to rights groups. AFP PHOTO / BULENT KILIC (Photo credit should read BULENT KILIC/AFP/Getty Images)
National Journal
Jordain Carney
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Jordain Carney
Jan. 31, 2014, 11:38 a.m.

Of­fi­cials from al­most a dozen coun­tries poin­ted to the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment as the reas­on ser­i­ous pro­gress wasn’t made in the talks end­ing Fri­day over stop­ping the coun­try’s civil war, ac­cord­ing to a com­mu­nique.

Seni­or of­fi­cials from Egypt, France, Ger­many, Italy, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Ar­a­bia, Tur­key, the United Ar­ab Emir­ates, the United King­dom, and the United States said the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment “must not fur­ther ob­struct sub­stan­tial ne­go­ti­ations and it must en­gage con­struct­ively in the second round of ne­go­ti­ations.”

A seni­or U.S. of­fi­cial said “we hope for a more sub­stant­ive dis­cus­sion in round two,” but pushed back against the no­tion of a quick agree­ment, adding that “this will be a long, hard ne­go­ti­ation. It’s a very bit­ter, very nasty con­flict on the ground in Syr­ia.”

The group also called on the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment to in­crease ac­cess to hu­man­it­ari­an aid, not­ing that “hun­dreds of thou­sands” of people are starving due to lack of ac­cess. The Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment has been ac­cused of us­ing star­va­tion as a weapon of war.

The U.S. of­fi­cial said there are ap­prox­im­ately 45,000 Syr­i­ans be­ing blocked from hu­man­it­ari­an aid by op­pos­i­tion groups.

“The next thing we’re look­ing for­ward to is a meet­ing in Rome,” the of­fi­cial said. The meet­ing — which will take place on Monday — will dis­cuss a U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil Pres­id­en­tial State­ment from last year re­gard­ing hu­man­it­ari­an aid ac­cess.

Syr­ia has been un­der cri­ti­cism this week as U.N. and U.S. of­fi­cials have sug­ges­ted they are delay­ing hand­ing over its chem­ic­al weapons ma­ter­i­al, which would be taken out of the coun­try and des­troyed.

“I don’t know that the chem­ic­als is­sue darkened the talks here, but there is a cred­ib­il­ity is­sue for the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment,” the U.S. of­fi­cial said re­fer­ring to the talks in Geneva.

What We're Following See More »
ANNOUNCED BY SCARAMUCCI
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Is New Press Secretary
3 hours ago
THE LATEST
SAYS IT WAS “AN HONOR”
Spicer Staying on Through August
4 hours ago
THE LATEST
FIRST IN WEEKS
On-Camera Press Briefing Today at 2
5 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
HE LASTED SIX MONTHS
Sean Spicer Resigns
5 hours ago
THE LATEST

He resigned this morning, "telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director." Per Politico, "chief of staff Reince Priebus and chief strategist Steve Bannon" were opposed to the appointment, while "Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, and Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell" were supportive..."Another White House official said Spicer was gracious while breaking the news of his departure, offered some praise for Scaramucci, while saying he would help with a transition."

Source:
STAFF IS PUSHING BACK
Trump Wants Scaramucci to Helm WH Communications
8 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login