EPA Gets Fresh Backing in BP Suspension Battle

Thick oil from the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill floats on the surface of the water and coats the marsh wetlands in Bay Jimmy near Port Sulphur, Louisiana, June 11, 2010. BP's liabilities sky-rocketed in tandem with estimates about the scale of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill Friday, as analysts pushed the possible price tag well above four billion dollars. Wall Street experts said the monetary cost of the disaster for BP would be tied to new estimates that put the amount of oil spilled at between one and two million barrels so far, double the previous estimate.
National Journal
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Ben Geman
Feb. 5, 2014, 6:24 a.m.

The ad­vocacy group Pub­lic Cit­izen is bat­tling BP’s ef­fort to end its sus­pen­sion from re­ceiv­ing new fed­er­al con­tracts, a sanc­tion that stems from the oil gi­ant’s 2010 Gulf of Mex­ico spill.

Pub­lic Cit­izen filed a brief Tues­day in de­fense of the En­vir­on­ment­al Pro­tec­tion Agency in BP’s law­suit against the agency to over­turn the sus­pen­sion.

“Pub­lic Cit­izen be­lieves that EPA’s sus­pen­sion de­cision re­flects an ap­pro­pri­ate ex­er­cise of EPA’s ex­press stat­utory and reg­u­lat­ory au­thor­ity and will have the ef­fect of pro­tect­ing the pub­lic by pre­vent­ing ex­pendit­ures of gov­ern­ment funds to be­ne­fit an en­ter­prise whose his­tory demon­strates that its cor­por­ate prac­tices cre­ate on­go­ing threats to the en­vir­on­ment, to U.S. work­ers, and to the pub­lic at large,” states the amicus brief filed with the U.S. Dis­trict Court for the South­ern Dis­trict of Texas.

The brief is the latest es­cal­a­tion in the case. The Brit­ish gov­ern­ment and ma­jor busi­ness and oil in­dustry groups pre­vi­ously filed briefs sup­port­ing BP’s law­suit against EPA.

BP and oth­er crit­ics of the agency’s 2012 de­cision to freeze BP’s abil­ity to win new con­tracts say it was far too sweep­ing.

“The EPA had no basis to des­ig­nate [BP Ex­plor­a­tion and Pro­duc­tion] headquar­ters in Hou­s­ton as the ‘vi­ol­at­ing fa­cil­ity’ un­der the rel­ev­ant dis­qual­i­fic­a­tion stat­ute, nor can it make the re­quired show­ing that ‘im­me­di­ate ac­tion’ was ne­ces­sary when it based the sus­pen­sion on events that happened more than two and a half years be­fore the sus­pen­sion, par­tic­u­larly when the gov­ern­ment con­tin­ued to do busi­ness with BP and re­peatedly found it to be a re­spons­ible con­tract­or,” BP spokes­man Geoff Mor­rell said in late Janu­ary in re­sponse to a Justice De­part­ment fil­ing in the case.

What We're Following See More »
WOULD CUT NON-DEFENSE BY SAME AMOUNT
Trump Budget Would Bump Defense Spending by $54 Billion
10 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.

Source:
WILL THE DINNER HAPPEN?
Trump To Skip Correspondents Dinner
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.

FOLLOWS ARMY SECRETARY
Navy Secretary Nominee To Withdraw
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.

Source:
FBI TURNED DOWN REQUEST
Report: Trump Asked FBI to Deny Russia Stories
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN. But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate."

Source:
THE QUESTION
How Many Signatures Has the Petition for Trump’s Tax Returns Received?
4 days ago
THE ANSWER

More than 1 million, setting a record. More than 100,000 signatures triggers an official White House response.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login