Turkey Opens Key Air Base for U.S. Strikes on ISIS

The newly approved use of Incirlik Air Base for bombing missions will greatly reduce the distance U.S. warplanes must fly to their targets.

A fighter jet flies above the Syrian town of Kobani on Oct. 19, 2014 in Sanliurfa, Turkey. 
National Journal
Marcus Weisgerber, Defense One and Patrick Tucker
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Marcus Weisgerber, Defense One Patrick Tucker
July 23, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

Tur­key will open up In­cir­lik Air Force Base, about 250 miles from the Syr­i­an city of Raqqa, to U.S. and co­ali­tion strike op­er­a­tions against the Is­lam­ic State, ac­cord­ing to mul­tiple for­eign news out­lets. The move puts anti-IS­IS air­craft, which had been fly­ing some 1,200 miles to strike Is­lam­ic State po­s­i­tions, much closer to the vari­ous battle­grounds, in­clud­ing Raqqa, the ef­fect­ive cap­it­al of the Is­lam­ic State in Syr­ia.

“You can get there quick, you can stay longer and you can carry more [bombs],” said T. Mi­chael Mose­ley, a re­tired Air Force gen­er­al who was the head of U.S. Air Forces Cent­ral Com­mand dur­ing the 2003 Amer­ic­an-led in­va­sion of Ir­aq. “It’s a good thing.” Mose­ley also pre­dicted polit­ic­al be­ne­fits from Tur­key’s de­cision to in­crease its par­ti­cip­a­tion in the fight against IS­IS. “The biggest thing is you’ve got a co­ali­tion part­ner that’s now vis­ible “¦ who hap­pens to be a Sunni state [and] hap­pens to be a NATO part­ner,” he said. On Tues­day, White House and DOD of­fi­cials ini­tially de­clined to con­firm or deny the re­ports. Pentagon spokes­per­son Laura Seal said, “The United States and Tur­key have held on­go­ing con­sulta­tions about ways we can fur­ther our joint counter-ISIL ef­forts. We have de­cided to fur­ther deep­en our co­oper­a­tion in the fight against ISIL, our com­mon ef­forts to pro­mote se­cur­ity and sta­bil­ity in Ir­aq, and our work to bring about a polit­ic­al set­tle­ment to the con­flict in Syr­ia. Due to op­er­a­tion­al se­cur­ity I don’t have fur­ther de­tails to share at this time.” But later in the day, Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cials con­firmed that manned and un­manned U.S. war­planes will carry out strikes from the base, with one seni­or ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cial de­scrib­ing the de­vel­op­ment as a “game changer.” It’s a shift long sought by Wash­ing­ton, which has been try­ing to get Tur­key’s per­mis­sion to launch strike mis­sions from In­cir­lik ever since the air cam­paign began last Au­gust. The Pentagon has long op­er­ated from the Turk­ish air base, but has been denied ap­prov­al to do more against IS­IS than sup­port U.S. and NATO air­craft passing through the re­gion. A month after the air­strikes began, then-De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel paid a vis­it to Tur­key; the Turk­ish gov­ern­ment main­tained a low pro­file, clos­ing nearly every event to the U.S. press trav­el­ing with the sec­ret­ary. At the time, nearly 50 Turk­ish cit­izens had been taken host­age by IS­IS in north­ern Ir­aq. Tur­key ne­go­ti­ated their re­lease later that month. The agree­ment that opened the base to strike mis­sions is a few weeks old, the Turk­ish news­pa­per Hür­ri­yet re­por­ted. “The two sides agreed in prin­ciple about the use of the İncir­lik base in Adana dur­ing talks on Ju­ly 7-8,” it said. But a re­cent ter­ror at­tack in­side Tur­key may have ad­ded a cer­tain ur­gency to Ank­ara’s re­sponse to the Is­lam­ic State. On Monday, 31 people were killed when a bomb ex­ploded in the Turk­ish city of Suruc. Turk­ish au­thor­it­ies have blamed the at­tack on a stu­dent, Seyh Ab­dur­rah­man Alagoz, whom they said has ties to the Is­lam­ic State. On Tues­day, Pres­id­ent Obama spoke with Turk­ish Pres­id­ent Re­cep Tayyip Er­dogan over the phone, where he “con­veyed con­dol­ences on be­half of the Amer­ic­an people to the fam­il­ies of the vic­tims, and the two lead­ers af­firmed that the United States and Tur­key stand united in the fight against ter­ror­ism. The lead­ers also dis­cussed ef­forts to in­crease co­oper­a­tion to stem the flow of for­eign fight­ers and se­cure Tur­key’s bor­der with Syr­ia,” ac­cord­ing to a White House press state­ment. Sta­ging fight­er and at­tack air­craft in Tur­key would greatly re­duce the dis­tance they need to fly to reach a tar­get, said Dav­id Dep­tula, a re­tired Air Force lieu­ten­ant gen­er­al who was the prin­cip­al at­tack plan­ner for the Desert Storm air cam­paign against Ir­aq in 1991 and is now dean of the Mitchell In­sti­tute for Aerospace Stud­ies. Many Amer­ic­an and co­ali­tion war­planes now fly as many as 1,200 miles from bases out­side Ir­aq or air­craft car­ri­ers in the Per­sian Gulf to tar­gets in North­ern Ir­aq and Syr­ia. IS­IS strong­holds, which have been the tar­gets of air­strikes, are much closer to Tur­key. “What it does is it dra­mat­ic­ally re­duces the dis­tance” to tar­gets, Dep­tula said. “It means that with the same num­ber of air­craft avail­able that ex­ist today, the num­ber of strike sorties or mis­sions that can be flown can be dra­mat­ic­ally in­creased prob­ably on the or­der of two to three times what we’re fly­ing today.” Basing strike air­craft in Tur­key also re­duces the de­mand on aer­i­al tankers, which must re­fuel gas-hungry fight­er jets mul­tiple times when they come from oth­er bases south of Ir­aq. They plans can also fly over tar­gets for longer amounts of time. The In­cir­lik base has played a crit­ic­al role in vari­ous pre­vi­ous U.S.-led cam­paigns, in­clud­ing against Sad­dam Hus­sein and the Taliban in Afgh­anistan. Molly O’Toole con­trib­uted to this re­port.

“You can get there quick, you can stay longer, and you can carry more [bombs],” said T. Mi­chael Mose­ley, a re­tired Air Force gen­er­al who was the head of U.S. Air Forces Cent­ral Com­mand dur­ing the 2003 Amer­ic­an-led in­va­sion of Ir­aq. “It’s a good thing.”

Mose­ley also pre­dicted polit­ic­al be­ne­fits from Tur­key’s de­cision to in­crease its par­ti­cip­a­tion in the fight against IS­IS. “The biggest thing is you’ve got a co­ali­tion part­ner that’s now vis­ible “¦ who hap­pens to be a Sunni state [and] hap­pens to be a NATO part­ner,” he said.

On Tues­day, White House and De­fense De­part­ment of­fi­cials ini­tially de­clined to con­firm or deny the re­ports. Pentagon spokes­wo­man Laura Seal said, “The United States and Tur­key have held on­go­ing con­sulta­tions about ways we can fur­ther our joint counter-ISIL ef­forts. We have de­cided to fur­ther deep­en our co­oper­a­tion in the fight against ISIL, our com­mon ef­forts to pro­mote se­cur­ity and sta­bil­ity in Ir­aq, and our work to bring about a polit­ic­al set­tle­ment to the con­flict in Syr­ia. Due to op­er­a­tion­al se­cur­ity I don’t have fur­ther de­tails to share at this time.”

But later in the day, Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cials con­firmed that manned and un­manned U.S. war­planes will carry out strikes from the base, with one seni­or ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cial de­scrib­ing the de­vel­op­ment as a “game changer.”

It’s a shift long sought by Wash­ing­ton, which has been try­ing to get Tur­key’s per­mis­sion to launch strike mis­sions from In­cir­lik ever since the air cam­paign began last Au­gust. The Pentagon has long op­er­ated from the Turk­ish air base, but has been denied ap­prov­al to do more against IS­IS than sup­port U.S. and NATO air­craft passing through the re­gion.

A month after the air­strikes began, then-De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel paid a vis­it to Tur­key; the Turk­ish gov­ern­ment main­tained a low pro­file, clos­ing nearly every event to the U.S. press trav­el­ing with the sec­ret­ary. At the time, nearly 50 Turk­ish cit­izens had been taken host­age by IS­IS in north­ern Ir­aq. Tur­key ne­go­ti­ated their re­lease later that month.

The agree­ment that opened the base to strike mis­sions is a few weeks old, the Turk­ish news­pa­per Hür­ri­yet re­por­ted. “The two sides agreed in prin­ciple about the use of the İncir­lik base in Adana dur­ing talks on Ju­ly 7-8,” it said.

But a re­cent ter­ror at­tack in­side Tur­key may have ad­ded a cer­tain ur­gency to Ank­ara’s re­sponse to the Is­lam­ic State. On Monday, 31 people were killed when a bomb ex­ploded in the Turk­ish city of Suruc. Turk­ish au­thor­it­ies have blamed the at­tack on a stu­dent, Seyh Ab­dur­rah­man Alagoz, who they said has ties to the Is­lam­ic State.

On Tues­day, Pres­id­ent Obama spoke with Turk­ish Pres­id­ent Re­cep Tayyip Er­dogan over the phone, and he “con­veyed con­dol­ences on be­half of the Amer­ic­an people to the fam­il­ies of the vic­tims, and the two lead­ers af­firmed that the United States and Tur­key stand united in the fight against ter­ror­ism. The lead­ers also dis­cussed ef­forts to in­crease co­oper­a­tion to stem the flow of for­eign fight­ers and se­cure Tur­key’s bor­der with Syr­ia,” ac­cord­ing to a White House press state­ment.

Sta­ging fight­er and at­tack air­craft in Tur­key would greatly re­duce the dis­tance they need to fly to reach a tar­get, said Dav­id Dep­tula, a re­tired Air Force lieu­ten­ant gen­er­al who was the prin­cip­al at­tack plan­ner for the Desert Storm air cam­paign against Ir­aq in 1991 and is now dean of the Mitchell In­sti­tute for Aerospace Stud­ies.

Many Amer­ic­an and co­ali­tion war­planes now fly as many as 1,200 miles from bases out­side Ir­aq or air­craft car­ri­ers in the Per­sian Gulf to tar­gets in North­ern Ir­aq and Syr­ia. IS­IS strong­holds, which have been the tar­gets of air­strikes, are much closer to Tur­key.

“What it does is it dra­mat­ic­ally re­duces the dis­tance” to tar­gets, Dep­tula said. “It means that with the same num­ber of air­craft avail­able that ex­ist today, the num­ber of strike sorties or mis­sions that can be flown can be dra­mat­ic­ally in­creased prob­ably on the or­der of two to three times what we’re fly­ing today.”

Basing strike air­craft in Tur­key also re­duces the de­mand on aer­i­al tankers, which must re­fuel gas-hungry fight­er jets mul­tiple times when they come from oth­er bases south of Ir­aq. They can also fly over tar­gets for longer amounts of time.

The In­cir­lik base has played a crit­ic­al role in vari­ous pre­vi­ous U.S.-led cam­paigns, in­clud­ing against Sad­dam Hus­sein and the Taliban in Afgh­anistan.

Molly O’Toole con­trib­uted to this re­port.

What We're Following See More »
CLAIMS THAT IT’S NOT A CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTION
Giuliani Tells Hannity that Trump Repaid the $130k to Daniels
3 days ago
THE LATEST
REPLACED BY EMMET FLOOD
Ty Cobb Quits Trump Team
3 days ago
THE DETAILS

"President Trump plans to hire Emmet T. Flood, the veteran Washington lawyer who represented Bill Clinton during his impeachment, to replace Ty Cobb, the White House lawyer who has taken the lead in dealing with the special counsel investigation, who is retiring, according to two people briefed on the matter. In a phone interview, Mr. Cobb said he informed the president weeks ago that he wanted to retire. ...Mr. Flood is expected to take a more adversarial approach to the investigation than Mr. Cobb."

Source:
DOJ IS NOT GOING TO BE “EXTORTED”
Rosenstein Answers Impeachment Threats
4 days ago
THE LATEST
MANAFORT SAID PROSECUTOR EXCEEDED HIS MANDATE
Judge Dismisses Manafort’s Case Against Mueller
5 days ago
THE LATEST

"A federal judge has dismissed the civil case brought by Paul Manafort alleging special counsel Robert Mueller has exceeded the scope of his investigation. U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who is overseeing the case against the former Trump campaign chairman in Washington, D.C., dismissed the case in a 24-page court ruling filed Friday."

Source:
ABOUT $228K SO FAR
Trump Campaign Paying Cohen’s Legal Expenses
5 days ago
THE LATEST
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login