Allegations of waste, fraud, and mismanagement in U.S.-backed efforts in Afghanistan are catching Congress’s attention.
Since fiscal 2002, the United States has allocated more than $102 billion for relief and reconstruction projects in Afghanistan. And as the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction looks through that 11-digit spending bill, its reports suggest a pattern of misused funds.
The military is livid over SIGAR’s reports, accusing it of missing the mark and even setting up its own “4 Phase Plan of Action to be 1st with the truth” aimed at defending its programs and point of view.
But thus far, it hasn’t been enough to stave off calls for action from member of Congress, including Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., who said SIGAR’s latest quarterly report “stresses the dire need for increased scrutiny and reforms” for U.S.-backed reconstruction projects in Afghanistan.
Here’s are some of SIGAR’s highlights:
$1.6 Billion: The amount of direct aid the U.S. Agency for International Development pledged to Afghanistan in 2013, according to a SIGAR report released at the end of last month. USAID agreed to give direct assistance to seven Afghan ministries despite determining that “it could not rely on the ministries it assessed to manage donor funds without a host of mitigation measures in place.”
But a State Department spokesperson pushed back at the audit, noting that the aid has been reduced to $1.06 billion, and only $300 million has been disbursed “in large part because of the rigorous methodology employed in the implementation of the programs.”
$486 Million: Twenty G222 aircraft were supposed to be given to the Afghan Air Force. Instead, the planes ended up at the Kabul International Airport where they will be stripped of military equipment and destroyed, according to a December letter from John Sopko, who oversees SIGAR. The planes got 234 of the required 4,500 flying hours, according to the SIGAR letter, notifying Pentagon leaders that it is launching an investigation.
$36 Million: The empty, newly constructed headquarter facilities at Camp Leatherneck is a well-documented example of potential government waste. Military officials have said that the building is unneeded, and under the White House’s current plan the base will be closed by this time next year. But an Army investigation found that with additional funding and construction, U.S. service members could use the building. That report had an unintended consequence — it relaunched a SIGAR investigation.
$597,929: The amount paid to an Afghan contracting company to build a hospital in Salang, a village in northeastern Afghanistan. When SIGAR inspected the hospital, “staff “¦ were washing newborns with untreated river water,” according to the report, because there was no clean water. The contractors also didn’t follow the contract requirements when building the hospital, creating “serious safety concerns” because of the frequency of earthquakes in that region of the country. The central command for U.S. forces in Afghanistan, however, responded to the SIGAR report with a defense of the hospital, calling it a “significant step forward in medical services for local Afghans.”
What We're Following See More »
"Rudy Giuliani said Friday that special counsel Robert Mueller has agreed to narrow the scope of a potential interview with President Donald Trump from five topics to two. The former New York City mayor, who is now one of Trump's lawyers in the Russia investigation, told CNN's Chris Cuomo on New Day that Mueller is not considering asking the President about his former personal attorney Michael Cohen, who's under investigation in New York over his business dealings."
Michael Cohen's financial records, given to the media last week, were leaked by a law enforcement official who "had grown alarmed after being unable to find two important reports on Cohen’s financial activity in a government database. The official, worried that the information was being withheld from law enforcement, released the remaining documents." He told the New Yorker: "This is a terrifying time to be an American."
"President Donald Trump said he was working with Chinese President Xi Jinping to keep ZTE Corp. in business, throwing an extraordinary lifeline to the Chinese telecommunication giant that has been laid low by U.S. moves to cut off its suppliers. The surprise intervention comes less than a month after ZTE was hit with an order banning U.S. companies from selling components to the Chinese business."