Here comes some fun. Sen. Rand Paul will join a lawsuit against President Obama, National Intelligence Director James Clapper, FBI Director James Comey, and NSA Director Keith Alexander. The suit, Paul says, is because Obama “has publicly refused to stop a clear and continuing violation of the Fourth Amendment. The Bill of Rights protects all citizens from general warrants. I expect this case to go all the way to the Supreme Court and I predict the American people will win.”
The Kentucky Republican is joining a suit from FreedomWorks President Matt Kibbe. And to just round out the group, the lead counsel is Ken Cuccinelli, former Virginia attorney general and Republican gubernatorial candidate. In the press release from RandPac, Cuccinelli says that “we expect to be opposed by the vast resources of the federal government, yet I am optimistic that we will prevail.”
Paul will join the suit officially on Wednesday. After the filing, he’ll hold a presser in front of the courthouse with Cuccinelli and Kibbe. That’s scheduled for 11 a.m.
Paul has been threatening for months to file a lawsuit against the Obama administration for what he calls its unconstitutional use of sweeping surveillance programs housed at the National Security Agency. Last month he officially announced his plans to carry through with his suit, acting on revelations about the NSA’s spy programs that began surfacing last June from Edward Snowden.
Paul’s class-action suit has accrued hundreds of thousands of signatures via his website, though some have pointed out that the list will likely double as a supporter database for future political aspirations, which may include a run for the White House in 2016.