Intelligence officials and issue analysts report signs that Saudi Arabia wants to develop a capacity to enrich uranium, despite proliferation concerns.
Riyadh is understood to be worried that world powers will agree to allow Iran to maintain some limited uranium-enrichment capability in a potential lasting deal on its nuclear program. Saudi Arabia has an established interest in developing an atomic-energy program, but its concerns about Iran could be causing the Persian Gulf kingdom to consider a more expansive domestic nuclear capability, the Daily Beast reported on Friday.
Institute for Science and International Security President David Albright told the news website he had learned from an unidentified European intelligence agency of Saudi Arabia’s pursuit in recent years of the scientific and engineering expertise necessary to carry out activities in all parts of the nuclear fuel chain.
The full cycle for producing atomic fuel includes uranium enrichment and the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel — two processes that could be used to create both more fuel for civil energy needs and fissile material suitable for powering warheads.
Albright said Riyadh was employing technical experts capable of constructing the centrifuge cascades required to enrich uranium.
“They view the developments in Iran very negatively,” he said. “They have money, they can buy talent, they can buy training.”
“The Saudis are thinking through how do you create a deterrent through capability,” said Albright, a physicist and onetime weapon inspector for the International Atomic Energy Agency.
An anonymous Obama administration official told the Daily Beast, “The logical response of any of Iran’s neighbors to an agreement that severely restricted Iran’s program … is not to build up a proto-military capability in enrichment, it’s rather to go in the opposite direction.”
At the Munich Security Conference earlier this month, former Saudi intelligence chief Turki al-Faisal suggested that if Tehran retained a uranium-enrichment ability in a final nuclear deal, then Riyadh and other Arab governments could pursue enrichment programs of their own.
“I think we should insist on having equal rights for everybody, this is part of the [Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty] arrangement,” he said.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.
Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.
Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.
"The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN. But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate."