Allegations of a new chemical attack in Syria’s civil war appear to have gained little attention in Washington, the Daily Beast reports.
Representatives from the rebel-held city of Daraya are demanding a U.N. inquiry into the purported Jan. 13 strike, the publication said on Thursday. However, local leader Oussama al-Chourbaji said U.S. State Department officials “didn’t seem to care that much” when they heard last week from a delegation of witnesses visiting Washington.
The pro-opposition Syrian Support Group accused forces loyal to President Bashar Assad of killing four rebel combatants with a grenade-like device loaded with an unidentified gas. The substance is said to have caused a range of ailments partially alleviated by a sarin nerve agent antidote.
Dan Layman, a spokesman for the U.S.-based group, said “all of those who were affected or killed had the exact same symptoms” as victims of an Aug. 21 sarin strike in a rebel-occupied area close to Damascus. Assad’s regime never claimed responsibility for the 2013 attack, but later confirmed holding chemical weapons and agreed to surrender them amid warnings of a potential U.S. military response.
Al-Chourbaji, a spokesman for the Daraya local council’s medical branch, said an individual claiming to be from the U.S. State Department had asked his municipal body to transfer samples from the incident to neighboring Jordan for analysis. The council member said that request came shortly after the Jan. 13 event, but the Daily Beast reported that materials collected from the possible attack had yet to leave the city as of Thursday.
Al-Chourbaji added that State Department officials directed the witnesses visiting Washington last week to take photographs as they collect chemical traces from any future incidents.
“They said, ‘If they strike you again with chemical weapons, take pictures and tell us,’” he said. “They just advised us to take pictures [to document the taking of the samples] as if we were in a CSI episode. People are dying [and] we are making a movie.”
- 1 Donald Trump Leaves a Car Wreck Behind
- 2 Emails May Be a Key to Addressing ‘Pay-to-Play’ Whispers at Clinton Foundation
- 3 Concerts, Snapchat And Breweries — Tom Steyer Seeks Out Millennials
- 4 Snowden: NSA Employees Are Passing Around Nude Photos
- 5 The Technologies Americans Can and Can’t Live Without
What We're Following See More »
"According to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, the first national post-debate survey, 43 percent of registered voters said the Democratic candidate won, compared with 26 percent who opted for the Republican Party’s standard bearer. Her 6-point lead over Trump among likely voters is unchanged from our previous survey: Clinton still leads Trump 42 percent to 36 percent in the race for the White House, with Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson taking 9 percent of the vote."
After a lighthearted beginning, Donald Trump's appearance at the Al Smith charity dinner in New York "took a tough turn as the crowd repeatedly booed the GOP nominee for his sharp-edged jokes about his rival Hillary Clinton."
Evan McMullin came out on top in a Emerson College poll of Utah with 31% of the vote. Donald Trump came in second with 27%, while Hillary Clinton took third with 24%. Gary Johnson received 5% of the vote in the survey.
A new Quinnipiac University poll finds Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by seven percentage points, 47%-40%. Trump’s “lead among men and white voters all but” vanished from the university’s early October poll. A new PPRI/Brookings survey shows a much bigger lead, with Clinton up 51%-36%. And an IBD/TIPP poll leans the other way, showing a virtual dead heat, with Trump taking 41% of the vote to Clinton’s 40% in a four-way matchup.