U.N. Panel Said to Conclude North Korean Vessel Violated Sanctions

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
Feb. 21, 2014, 8:04 a.m.

The U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil on Thursday re­portedly de­term­ined that a Cuban-North Korea arms deal, dis­covered in 2012, vi­ol­ated sanc­tions on Py­ongy­ang.

Uniden­ti­fied U.N. in­siders told KBS World the 15-mem­ber U.N. body reached agree­ment on the weapons trans­gres­sion after read­ing a re­port pro­duced by a U.N pan­el with over­sight on North Korean sanc­tions.

The Chong Chon Gang was in­ter­dicted last sum­mer by au­thor­it­ies as it at­temp­ted to pass through the Panama Canal. A search of the North Korean cargo freight­er’s hold turned up a large cache of So­viet-era weaponry. Cuba quickly claimed own­er­ship of the arms, which in­cluded two MiG jets, anti-air­craft mis­sile sys­tems and oth­er as­sor­ted con­ven­tion­al weaponry.

Havana as­ser­ted the weapons were be­ing shipped to the North for re­fur­bish­ment, after which they were to be sent back to Cuba. However, in­de­pend­ent ana­lysts con­cluded that much of the weaponry was in func­tion­ing con­di­tion and not in need of re­pair.

It is not yet known what, if any, pun­ish­ment the Se­cur­ity Coun­cil could im­pose on Py­ongy­ang and Havana .

Mean­while, Chinese Pres­id­ent Xi Jin­ping on Fri­day pledged his gov­ern­ment would work to achieve the elim­in­a­tion of atom­ic arms in North Korea, the Yon­hap News Agency re­por­ted.

“The de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion of the Korean Pen­in­sula is the ba­sic stance of China to­wards the Korean Pen­in­sula,” Xi said dur­ing a meet­ing with vis­it­ing South Korean law­makers. “We will make ef­forts to real­ize it.”

China in re­cent days has shown re­newed vig­or for re­start­ing the moribund re­gion­al talks aimed at achiev­ing a per­man­ent shut­down of Py­ongy­ang’s nuc­le­ar-weapons work.

U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry in a vis­it last week to Beijing ex­changed “spe­cif­ic” ideas for re-launch­ing the six-party talks that en­com­pass China, Ja­pan, the two Koreas, Rus­sia and the United States. Dir­ectly fol­low­ing Kerry’s vis­it, Chinese Vice For­eign Min­is­ter Liu Zhen­min traveled to Py­ongy­ang for meet­ings with North Korea of­fi­cials. Im­me­di­ately af­ter­wards, he flew to South Korea for more meet­ings on the North Korea nuc­le­ar im­passe.

A South Korean For­eign Min­istry of­fi­cial said the Fri­day meet­ing between Liu and Deputy For­eign Min­is­ter Lee Ky­ung-soo pro­duced an un­der­stand­ing to deep­en bi­lat­er­al co­ordin­a­tion on achiev­ing North Korean de­nuc­lear­iz­a­tion, Yon­hap sep­ar­ately re­por­ted.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
18 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
19 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
19 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
23 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×