Nuclear Triad to Survive Hagel Cuts in Pentagon Spending

A U.S. Air Force B-2 stealth bomber rehearses a flyover of the U.S. Air Force Memorial in Arlington, Va., in 2006. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Monday said he would preserve funding to develop a new bomber to ultimately replace the B-2.
National Journal
Elaine M. Grossman
Add to Briefcase
Elaine M. Grossman
Feb. 24, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

U.S. De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel on Monday said the na­tion would keep its air-land-sea ap­proach to the nuc­le­ar ar­sen­al, des­pite new Pentagon spend­ing cuts.

“We … pre­serve all three legs of the nuc­le­ar tri­ad,” he said in a lengthy state­ment at a De­fense De­part­ment press con­fer­ence, mostly de­voted to con­ven­tion­al-war­fare pre­pared­ness. “We’ll make im­port­ant in­vest­ments to pre­serve a safe, se­cure, re­li­able and ef­fect­ive nuc­le­ar force.”

Speak­ing along­side Chair­man of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mar­tin De­mp­sey, the de­fense sec­ret­ary laid out a series of re­duc­tions he said were ne­ces­sary for main­tain­ing mil­it­ary read­i­ness and re­bal­an­cing the force struc­ture to ad­dress fu­ture threats.

The Air Force’s A-10 close air sup­port air­craft and the U-2 sur­veil­lance plane were not­able cas­u­al­ties of the spend­ing over­haul, though each of the planned weapons re­tire­ments could face push­back from Con­gress. The de­fense sec­ret­ary also is look­ing to cut Army per­son­nel num­bers and cap a new class of Navy war­ships.

Hagel did not rule out that the Pentagon might yet in­tro­duce spend­ing re­duc­tions in the com­ing fisc­al years to today’s ele­ments of the nuc­le­ar tri­ad: Navy sub­mar­ine-based Tri­dent D-5 bal­list­ic mis­siles; Air Force B-2 and B-52 bomber air­craft; and Air Force Minute­man 3 ground-based in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­siles.

However, as part of main­tain­ing all three legs of the nuc­le­ar tri­ad, he said the Pentagon plans to con­tin­ue in­vest­ing in the de­vel­op­ment of a Long Range Strike bomber to ul­ti­mately re­place today’s nuc­le­ar- and con­ven­tion­ally armed stra­tegic-range air­craft.

“The forces we pri­or­it­ize can pro­ject power over great dis­tances and carry out a vari­ety of mis­sions more rel­ev­ant to the pres­id­ent’s de­fense strategy, such as home­land de­fense, stra­tegic de­terrence, build­ing part­ner­ship ca­pa­city, and de­feat­ing asym­met­ric threats,” Hagel told re­port­ers. “They’re also well suited to the strategy’s re­bal­ance to the Asia-Pa­cific re­gion, to sus­tain­ing se­cur­ity com­mit­ments in the Middle East and in Europe, and our en­gage­ment in oth­er re­gions.”

The Pentagon late last week ac­know­ledged that it had dir­ec­ted the Air Force to ex­am­ine the en­vir­on­ment­al con­sequences of de­com­mis­sion­ing some Minute­man 3 mis­siles un­der the terms of the New START arms-con­trol agree­ment, des­pite a con­gres­sion­al pro­hib­i­tion against spend­ing on such an as­sess­ment. Law­makers from key nuc­le­ar-basing states have op­posed cuts to the mis­sile force and in­cluded the ban on con­duct­ing an en­vir­on­ment­al im­pact study in fisc­al 2014 spend­ing le­gis­la­tion.

“This is the first time in 13 years” that the Pentagon will present to Cap­it­ol Hill a de­fense budget that is not on a war foot­ing, Hagel said. “It is a dif­fer­ent time. It is a dif­fer­ent situ­ation.”

Wheth­er Con­gress would ac­cept the pro­posed spend­ing changes was un­clear, Hagel said, but he as­ser­ted that the Pentagon must put forth what it de­term­ines to be the budget pri­or­it­ies most ap­pro­pri­ate for U.S. na­tion­al se­cur­ity ob­ject­ives.

The Pentagon is ex­pec­ted to sub­mit its fisc­al 2015 budget re­quest to Con­gress next week.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
1 days ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×