If you think the Defense Department is finally getting realistic about the deep budget cuts that simply won’t go away — think again.
The Pentagon is letting wishful thinking govern its budget requests in future years. Even though the Budget Control Act is the law of the land. Even though Congress has proved, time and time again, that it does not plan to roll back all of the steep cuts despite pleas from the Pentagon calling for a budgetary fix in the interest of national security.
That’s the takeaway from Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, who on Monday offered a preview of his $496 billion budget request for the next fiscal year. The budget proposal meets the spending caps Congress imposed for next year — but will include an extra $26 billion wish list detailing priorities it wants on top of that request. The Pentagon’s five-year plan overshoots sequestration levels by a hefty $115 billion.
Hagel is transparent about his reasoning. “The reason we are requesting this increase over sequestration levels is because the president and I would never recommend a budget that compromises our national security,” he said. “Continued sequestration cuts would compromise our national security both for the short- and long-term.”
By refusing to plan for sequestration beyond next year, however, the Pentagon is missing out on an important political play to convince Congress to reverse the cuts.
The Pentagon has so far managed to avoid the full force of sequestration — by using leftover funds to cushion the blow and delaying contracts — but the stark consequences of sequestration got real this week. Hagel offered a taste of what life under sequestration would be like on Monday, when he proposed cutting the A-10 fleet, scaling back expected littoral combat ship purchases, and shrinking the Army — all tough choices with constituencies on the Hill. He warned there would be further drastic reductions if sequestration is not overturned.
This is exactly what some lawmakers, especially Republicans, were calling for — before the fiscal cliff.
When the White House instructed federal agencies including the Pentagon not to plan for the sequester, as late as the end of 2012, Republicans begged for a concrete plan that would give the department time to make safe reductions — and spur members to compromise once they fully understood the political pain they would face from a projected half-trillion-dollar cut on their districts. But Jeffrey Zients, then acting director of the Office of Management and Budget, insisted Congress should end the sequester and reduce the deficit responsibly, not “spend time moving around the rocks at the bottom of the cliff, to make for a less painful landing.”
Times are different now, though. The Pentagon is fully aware these cuts are still in place, as evidenced by the budget they will submit next week, and it’s still letting its budget overshoot in hopes the sequester will be reversed.
“I would like to plan on getting a big raise or my mortgage rate going down, but you can’t,” said Larry Korb, a former assistant secretary of Defense under President Reagan and a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress. “You’ve got to plan for what you have…. Why not just cut things, and then if you get more [money] you can add them?”
Failing to adhere to the law in the future not only makes it difficult for the Pentagon to plan, it also means it could ultimately waste money by spending money now on things it will cut later.
The Pentagon could have made some different budget choices this year if it were anticipating sequester in the future years. For instance, if it knew it could not afford to keep 11 carriers in the Navy, it could cancel the refueling for the USS George Washington now to save money, said Todd Harrison of the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. It also might not need as many aircraft — and could slow down production of the Navy’s carrier version of the F-35. Or, if the Army knew it could not afford the 450,000 service members it requested this year, it could start taking steps to downsize active-duty personnel, civilians, and contracts.
“Cuts in personnel, whether they’re military or civilian, take time,” Harrison said. “The sooner you can start the process, the sooner you can start saving money and the longer you can save.”
Of course, the Pentagon would not want to be seen as proposing the cuts because it would be hard to spend the coming months arguing against them on Capitol Hill.
But the alternative is riskier, Harrison said, since the department could be caught flat-footed in terms of planning — again. “I’d rather have a messaging problem than a national security problem.”
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.