The Pentagon has overstated the effects of the sequester’s spending cuts in previous years, a top Defense official said Tuesday.
“We cried wolf about this a lot in ‘13, as ‘13 was approaching,” said Frank Kendall, the Pentagon’s undersecretary of Defense for acquisition, technology, and logistics, at a defense budget conference discussing the sequester cuts.
“What we did in ‘13 was sort of the death of a 1,000 cuts,” Kendall said, adding that cuts were made across the board, but none were significantly negative.
Service chiefs have said that for the 2013 fiscal year, they largely helped hold off the sequester by doling out previously unused funds. And though the military was far from unscathed, it remained globally superior to other militaries.
The Pentagon is asking Congress for $496 billion for the upcoming fiscal year, $45 billion less than it originally projected and $9 billion above the budget caps under the sequester.
“I think it’s time going forward to have an informed debate about this,” Kendall said. He added: “We’re going to put on the table what it means”¦. If you don’t like all the “¦ things we’re doing “¦ look at all the bad things we’ll be doing if sequestration stays in place.”
And though the department’s fiscal 2015 budget sticks to the spending limits set by last year’s agreement, it includes provisions — including BRAC, changes to the A-10, and compensation issues — that Congress is expected to push back on, if not completely reject.
After the 2015 fiscal year, the five-year budget expected to be released by President Obama on Monday will ask for $115 billion over the sequester-level caps.
But acting Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox said Pentagon officials believe the “budget is reasonable and realistic and responsible.”
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”