Iran has resumed activities at an installation believed by some specialists to have housed nuclear-arms studies, says a Washington analytical group.
A Jan. 30 satellite photograph shows new movements at Iran’s Parchin base following an apparent lull in large-scale operations at the site, according to a Tuesday assessment by the Institute for Science and International Security. The facility remains off-limits to International Atomic Energy Agency inspectors who suspect it may have once hosted a structure capable of accommodating atomic-relevant detonation experiments, as well as potential work on a “neutron initiator” to trigger nuclear blasts.
The think tank said that debris and possible construction supplies have appeared close to the suspected detonation chamber’s former housing, as well as near an edifice on the northern edge of the Parchin complex.
The finding came less than a week after IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano cited the appearance of apparent construction materials and debris at Parchin since November.
ISIS analysts said the alterations they found “are apparently the ones noted by the IAEA in the [Feb. 20] Iran safeguards report and listed among the issues that continue to create concerns about the hiding of possible military dimensions to Iran’s nuclear program.”
The U.N. nuclear watchdog cannot access Parchin under a weeks-old agreement addressing other elements in an investigation of the Middle Eastern nation’s nuclear activities. The international probe is intended to help clarify whether Tehran has ever considered weaponizing its atomic program.
In August, Amano stated that “extensive activities” at Parchin had “seriously undermined the agency’s ability to conduct effective verification” at the site.
A number of experts, though, have challenged the push by his organization to inspect the complex. The U.N. agency has not publicly disclosed supporting evidence supplied by member governments.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.