House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is backing her California colleague and friend, Rep. Anna Eshoo, in her fight to become the top Democrat on the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee.
The looming retirement of Rep. Henry Waxman has opened a race for the panel’s top Democratic spot, and Pelosi’s support — made public Thursday — will provide a political boost to Eshoo.
“Anna’s priorities in Congress reflect the future of America’s vibrant and competitive economy,” Pelosi said in a letter to colleagues announcing her backing of Eshoo, an 11-term lawmaker from Silicon Valley.
The race is pitting Eshoo, who is the ranking member on the Communications and Technology Subcommittee, against the more senior Rep. Frank Pallone of New Jersey, who has focused heavily on environmental and energy issues during his 13 terms in the House.
Pelosi, in the letter, praised Eshoo’s work on science and engineering education and technology development, among other issues.
“She advocates in the committee and in the House for health care, consumer protections, the environment, and access to technology and issues related to women and children. She has been recognized for her leadership in fighting breast cancer, juvenile diabetes, HIV/AIDS, and pancreatic cancer, to name a few awards,” Pelosi said.
The letter also suggests that Eshoo, who has previously served on the Intelligence Committee, is well poised to run the panel at a time of intense focus on surveillance policy. Eshoo’s intelligence and technology experience give her an “understanding of the balance between security and liberty,” the letter says.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.
Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.
Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.
"The FBI rejected a recent White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump's associates and Russians known to US intelligence during the 2016 presidential campaign, multiple US officials briefed on the matter tell CNN. But a White House official said late Thursday that the request was only made after the FBI indicated to the White House it did not believe the reporting to be accurate."