A hospital lobbying group hopes to convince Congress to avoid making roughly $2 billion in cuts to health care providers, arguing that the health care system is generating savings and that slashing payments further would jeopardize future innovations in care.
The Obama administration proposed the cuts Tuesday in its 2015 budget request, and it includes reductions in post-acute care, payments for rural hospitals, and reimbursements for care provided to Medicare beneficiaries who don’t pay their bills. The cuts come after years of spending reductions to hospitals, which faced some $25 billion in reduced revenues in the president’s proposal last year.
The Federation of American Hospitals, which represents more than 1,000 health care providers, is pushing a new study to persuade lawmakers to forgo the cuts. The study, produced by health care consulting firm Dobson DaVanzo, estimates more than $900 billion in savings to the Medicare program over the next decade due to cost cutting already being generated through changes to the way hospitals and doctors provide care. The projection exceeds estimates by the Congressional Budget Office, which last month lowered its ten-year projections for Medicare and Medicaid spending by $221 billion.
FAH President and CEO Chip Kahn said in his announcement at the organization’s annual public policy conference that the savings are the direct result of structural changes to America’s health care system that will drive down cost growth. Some of the changes he noted are the use of electronic health records, reduction in hospital readmission rates, and adoption of new care and payment models, innovations which can be traced back to public policy, including the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and the Affordable Care Act.
“Our mission now should be to stay the course, with the structural reforms that are driving down health care costs,” Kahn said.
Hospital leaders Tuesday sent a copy of the report, along with a call to avoid new hospital payment cuts, to the House and Senate Budget committees’ leadership.
What We're Following See More »
Following their meeting, President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico and Republican nominee for president, Donald Trump, briefly addressed the media, with Peña Nieto subtly rebuking Trump's rhetoric. While he spoke respectfully about Trump, Peña Nieto did not back down, saying that free trade has proved effective and that illegal immigration into America from the south has decreased over the last ten years while the flow of people and drugs into Mexico has increased. Additionally, he stressed that Mexicans in America are "honest" and "deserve respect." Trump responded, calling some Mexicans "tremendous people" while saying others are "beyond reproach." Trump laid out five important issues, including the end of illegal immigration and the ability for either country to build a wall or border. However, Trump said he did not discuss who would pay for the wall.
A divided Supreme Court "refused Wednesday to reinstate North Carolina’s voter identification requirement and keep just 10 days of early in-person voting. The court rejected a request by Gov. Pat McCrory and other state officials to delay a lower court ruling that found the state law was tainted by racial discrimination."
"Police say a woman walked into U.S. Rep. Danny Davis' office on Chicago's West Side, drank out of a bottle of hand sanitizer, poured the sanitizer over herself and set herself on fire with a lighter." The Democrat wasn't in the office at the time.