Facebook on Wednesday announced efforts to bolster “education and enforcement” for gun sellers using its social-media websites, a response to growing concerns that it has become a marketplace where gun sellers and buyers can circumvent gun laws.
Facebook is not an e-commerce site, and direct financial transactions do not take place through its network, but it does provide an avenue for users to advertise firearm sales. Gun-control advocacy groups say the social-media sites, with over 1 billion users, have made it easier to connect people who wish to buy and sell firearms without complying with federal laws and have been pushing the company to address the issue.
For example, an investigation by VentureBeat revealed that it takes 15 minutes for children or people without IDs to purchase a weapon on a Facebook page.
The new policy will delete posts that promote illegal sales, limit minors’ access to gun pages, and require sellers to include language about gun laws. The company will also send a reminder to anyone privately advertising a gun sale — or any regulated substance for that matter — to follow the law.
“We will not permit people to post offers to sell regulated items that indicate a willingness to evade or help others evade the law,” Monika Bickert, Facebook’s head of global policy management, said in a statement.
Facebook will rely on community tips to monitor gun posts, rather than employing an in-house team to police posts. Instagram will send out automatic notices to users searching hashtags such as #gunsforsale.
Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts, who pressed Instagram on the issue last November, lauded the action, saying “Instagram should be for selfies, not semi-automatics.”
The Palo Alto, Calif.-based company has been crafting the policy over the last year with the help of New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and the gun-safety groups Americans for Responsible Solutions, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Sandy Hook Promise, and Moms Demand Action.
In rolling out the new policy, Facebook emphasized that it was not trying to step on its users’ free expression.
“This is one of many areas where we face a difficult challenge balancing individuals’ desire to express themselves on our services, and recognizing that this speech may have consequences elsewhere,” Bickert said.
The National Rifle Association downplayed the announcement, saying that Mayors Against Illegal Guns was trying to get Facebook to shut down discussion of the Second Amendment but had been unable to do so.
But gun-control advocates call it a victory. John Feinblatt, chairman of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, said the move will send an important “cultural message” to legislators at the federal and state level. Schneiderman expressed confidence during a press call Wednesday that other companies will follow Facebook’s example.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."